• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MjonesRoc

NY, Onondaga county. I presented a small claims case back in mid December, for a security deposit. I cited a code which stated that the landlord had 21 days to inform me of intent to withhold any or all of my deposit. I was able to show proof of the deposit and that the landlord informed me of his intent to withhold, on the 22nd day, when I sent a text reminding him of where he could send my deposit. The judge said he needed to go over the case and that we would have a decision within a month. A decision has yet to be made. The court date was 12/12/17, I called the court on 1/22/18 and on 2/22/18. Both times I was told a decision has not been made. What I'm wondering is, is there a time limit a judge has to make a decision on a small claims case? Is there a motion I can submit to expedite the process. Or do I have to wait indefinitely, until he decides to deliberate. I appreciate any insight you have.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
NY, Onondaga county. I presented a small claims case back in mid December, for a security deposit. I cited a code which stated that the landlord had 21 days to inform me of intent to withhold any or all of my deposit. I was able to show proof of the deposit and that the landlord informed me of his intent to withhold, on the 22nd day, when I sent a text reminding him of where he could send my deposit. The judge said he needed to go over the case and that we would have a decision within a month. A decision has yet to be made. The court date was 12/12/17, I called the court on 1/22/18 and on 2/22/18. Both times I was told a decision has not been made. What I'm wondering is, is there a time limit a judge has to make a decision on a small claims case? Is there a motion I can submit to expedite the process. Or do I have to wait indefinitely, until he decides to deliberate. I appreciate any insight you have.
Keep waiting.

Additionally, did you notify the landlord, in writing (not text) of your new mailing address? What did the LL present as a defense?

adjusterjack

There is no time limit for a decision. Judges often take many months, especially on low priority cases like security deposit refund.

latigo

There is no time limit for a decision. Judges often take many months, especially on low priority cases like security deposit refund.
A "low priority cases"?

The poster is seeking a money judgment. Would you classify all lawsuits involving whether or not money is owed the claimant as "low priority cases"? Or just those by a former tenant asking for a money judgment in the nature of a refund of a security deposit?

What other cases do you characterize as "low priority cases"?

You've been so long trying to fool people into believing that you are lawyer it seems you have succeeded in fooling yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">