• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims - Order of Execution Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AxialTilt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

I have won a small claims case against a landscaping guy. He did not bother to pay me the amount he owed to me. I am going to file an Order of Execution for him to appear in the court and disclose his assets.

What happens if he shows up and just says 'I don't have any assets'. What should I do next?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

I have won a small claims case against a landscaping guy. He did not bother to pay me the amount he owed to me. I am going to file an Order of Execution for him to appear in the court and disclose his assets.

What happens if he shows up and just says 'I don't have any assets'. What should I do next?
Does this "landscaping guy" own a business?

AxialTilt

No. This guy just knocked on my door and offered landscaping service for a price and I later realized he duped me by doing very very poor quality work. I am not aware of any assets

AxialTilt

Thank you. I have already looked at all those details. But my question is regarding the situation where the defendant shows up but says 'I have no job. no bank account, no assets'. What are my option then?

quincy

Thank you. I have already looked at all those details. But my question is regarding the situation where the defendant shows up but says 'I have no job. no bank account, no assets'. What are my option then?
Judgments last a long time. Odds are pretty good that the indigent landscaper will at some point in time have an employer and/or assets. You might have to wait for that time to arrive.

You potentially could hire a private investigator to verify the landscaper's claims if you doubt what he says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">