• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two parties for small claims debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

achilders3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My husband and his ex wife have some medical bill debt that is currently being paid back. The law firm that is collecting the debt went after both of them as they were both on the account when debt occurred. My husband settled with the law firm to avoid getting any negative credit reported for him, and he was dismissed from the small claims case (as long as he continues to pay). His ex, however, has not responded andis not paying anything towards this debt.

Now, the divorce decree stated that any debt that occurred prior to separation was my husband's responsibility, and after separation the debt was separate. These medical bills that are owed have a very large partion, just over $4500 that are his ex wife's after separation. The law firm refuses to separate the debt owed. So, we are wondering how we can avoid paying her debt as it legally is her responsibility. Do we have to file paperwork with the courts to show her responsibility and not my husbands? Or is there a way to not let the law firm collect the ex's portion from my husband?

Any advice would be appreciated! Hope it all makes sense. If not...ask!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My husband and his ex wife have some medical bill debt that is currently being paid back. The law firm that is collecting the debt went after both of them as they were both on the account when debt occurred. My husband settled with the law firm to avoid getting any negative credit reported for him, and he was dismissed from the small claims case (as long as he continues to pay). His ex, however, has not responded andis not paying anything towards this debt.

Now, the divorce decree stated that any debt that occurred prior to separation was my husband's responsibility, and after separation the debt was separate. These medical bills that are owed have a very large partion, just over $4500 that are his ex wife's after separation. The law firm refuses to separate the debt owed. So, we are wondering how we can avoid paying her debt as it legally is her responsibility. Do we have to file paperwork with the courts to show her responsibility and not my husbands? Or is there a way to not let the law firm collect the ex's portion from my husband?

Any advice would be appreciated! Hope it all makes sense. If not...ask!
Good news! You aren't on the hook for ANY of this!:rolleyes:

Your husband will have to pay it and then sue his ex for what he was forced to pay that he shouldn't have had to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">