• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unnecessary parts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tina99123

New York. Heard a slight noise when I put on my brakes so went to the mechanic. Had an oil change there many times. First the mechanic asked for my key to unlock the lugs. Then he called me in and said I needed 4 rotors and brake pads. I asked him was he sure cause I only had 10,000 miles on my car. He said yes the back rotors are bad and the front is also needed. He then lied and said 2 lug nuts that need a key are missing. He took them off . Having not much knowledge on cars I said yes which I shouldn't have. Then he told me it would take 3 hrs. after he ordered parts. When I got home I was not feeling right about this and talked to someone and they said no way I needed the rotors. I called the shop and told them to forget it but by then they were almost done. I took the old parts with me, not sure if they were my parts . There was only 2 boxes for the rear rotors but no front rotor box. Anyway me and 2 male friends went back there a couple days later to confront him and he just kept telling lies. Day later I took those parts to the dealer and asked them if they should have been changed and they said there was no way it should have been changed. Now I would like to know if I have a case in small claims court and how could I prove my case. Amt. 961.00

quincy

New York. Heard a slight noise when I put on my brakes so went to the mechanic. Had an oil change there many times. First the mechanic asked for my key to unlock the lugs. Then he called me in and said I needed 4 rotors and brake pads. I asked him was he sure cause I only had 10,000 miles on my car. He said yes the back rotors are bad and the front is also needed. He then lied and said 2 lug nuts that need a key are missing. He took them off . Having not much knowledge on cars I said yes which I shouldn't have. Then he told me it would take 3 hrs. after he ordered parts. When I got home I was not feeling right about this and talked to someone and they said no way I needed the rotors. I called the shop and told them to forget it but by then they were almost done. I took the old parts with me, not sure if they were my parts . There was only 2 boxes for the rear rotors but no front rotor box. Anyway me and 2 male friends went back there a couple days later to confront him and he just kept telling lies. Day later I took those parts to the dealer and asked them if they should have been changed and they said there was no way it should have been changed. Now I would like to know if I have a case in small claims court and how could I prove my case. Amt. 961.00
I see problems with a lawsuit. A major problem is that you agreed to the work.

Without seeing the parts, it is impossible to tell if there was a need for the replacement of the rotors and brakes. Car mileage alone is not the determining factor.

You can rely on experts in your area to tell you if the old parts were in need of replacement - and if these experts believe the mechanic took advantage of your lack of knowledge about cars to talk you into a repair you did not need, you can file a small claims suit and attempt to recover your costs. Have your experts ready to testify.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">