• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daversmom3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I have an ex-roommate who is seeking payment from me for utility bills that are over 6 years old. I have been informed she is considering going to small claims court regarding this issue. l would like to know what my obligations are to this debt. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I have an ex-roommate who is seeking payment from me for utility bills that are over 6 years old. I have been informed she is considering going to small claims court regarding this issue. l would like to know what my obligations are to this debt. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
If you owe her the money they pay the lady. :bangthegavel: :)eek: ~ that sounded so Marilyn Milian:D)

JETX

I have an ex-roommate who is seeking payment from me for utility bills that are over 6 years old. I have been informed she is considering going to small claims court regarding this issue. l would like to know what my obligations are to this debt.
Your OBLIGATION is simple... if you owe it, a mature responsible adult would pay it.

However, if that doesn't apply to you, she can't FORCE you to pay it since the SOL (Statute of Limitations) in CA is 2 years for a verbal agreement (4 years if written). If she were to file a lawsuit against you as you believe, you MUST appear at the time and date scheduled to assert your 'expired SOL' defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">