• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia Accident in Parking Lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elizabeth17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Late last year when backing out of a spot at a local store, I was involved in a minor accident. The other driver was cutting sharply into the space next to me, and I did not see her as I turned and looked and used my mirror....a blind spot. The other driver is now taking me to Small Claims Court as her deductible was more than the damages to her vehicle. My insurance company states that since the fault was determined at 50/50, this action does not make sense to them. What I am seeking to get advice on with whether I am going to be responsible for paying her repairs? The damage to her car was the right rear door and estimated to be under $1000.00. I did call the police immediately after the accident and they completed an information exchange form. My bumper was dented, but I chose not to have it professionally repaired, we were able to push it back out adequately. Your feedback is most appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Late last year when backing out of a spot at a local store, I was involved in a minor accident. The other driver was cutting sharply into the space next to me, and I did not see her as I turned and looked and used my mirror....a blind spot. The other driver is now taking me to Small Claims Court as her deductible was more than the damages to her vehicle. My insurance company states that since the fault was determined at 50/50, this action does not make sense to them. What I am seeking to get advice on with whether I am going to be responsible for paying her repairs? The damage to her car was the right rear door and estimated to be under $1000.00. I did call the police immediately after the accident and they completed an information exchange form. My bumper was dented, but I chose not to have it professionally repaired, we were able to push it back out adequately. Your feedback is most appreciated.
You may, in fact, be found to be liable for the full amount of the damage. The court is under no obligation to accept the decision of the insurance company as to fault.

justalayman

The other driver was cutting sharply into the space next to me, and I did not see her as I turned and looked and used my mirror....a blind spot.
That sure sounds like an admission of guilt to me. You were backng our abd didn’t see the other driver and hit them. That sounds like 100% your fault to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">