• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights and what should I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johncabral89

Mom hasn't said anything here. I'm sure I'm right.
I didn’t relinquish ownership, me and my mom had a friendly agreement. My moms relationship is friendly with the family members aswell. The daughter just got attached to the puppies and wants them I guess... my mom never gave them my dog.

xylene

The best and only information we have is from the OP. He wrote, "...me and my mom agreed to leave it with her." Anything above that you are guessing.
I'm a great guesser.

Plus that is in conflict with saying mom is with them and the dog.

quincy

I didn’t relinquish ownership, me and my mom had a friendly agreement. My moms relationship is friendly with the family members aswell. The daughter just got attached to the puppies and wants them I guess... my mom never gave them my dog.
What keeps you away, John? Are you in college or something?

What are you planning on doing with your dog and the puppies once you retrieve them? What is it that is keeping you from doing this now, beside a relative saying the dog is no longer yours?

In other words, why have you not reclaimed (taken) your property? Do you have a place for your dog and the puppies? Are you planning on selling or giving away the puppies?

Where did your dog come from? A shelter? Or was she a gift?

Who owns the dad dog?

Last edited:

johncabral89

What keeps you away, John? Are you in college or something?

What are you planning on doing with your dog and the puppies once you retrieve them? What is it that is keeping you from doing this now, beside a relative saying the dog is no longer yours?

In other words, why have you not reclaimed (taken) your property? Do you have a place for your dog and the puppies? Are you planning on selling or giving away the puppies?

Where did your dog come from? A shelter? Or was she a gift?

Who owns the dad dog?
The reason I haven’t reclaimed my property is because they started claiming it’s their dog the moment I went to the reclaim it and they got confrontational and were being aggressive.

We bought the mother dog 2 years ago. It was a private sale.

I currently have the dad dog.

quincy

The reason I haven’t reclaimed my property is because they started claiming it’s their dog the moment I went to the reclaim it and they got confrontational and were being aggressive.

We bought the mother dog 2 years ago. It was a private sale.

I currently have the dad dog.
Thank you for answering most of my questions.

When you say "we bought the mother dog," are you speaking of you and your mom? Do you have a receipt for the purchase?

And could you answer the other questions I asked? Thanks.

johncabral89

Thank you for answering most of my questions.

When you say "we bought the mother dog," are you speaking of you and your mom? Do you have a receipt for the purchase?

And could you answer the other questions I asked? Thanks.
I meant “I” bought the dog. No I don’t have a receipt, but I do have photo evidence in my phone of her since she was a puppy.

I have already found homes for them, that is the reason for me going to pick them up.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I meant “I” bought the dog. No I don’t have a receipt, but I do have photo evidence in my phone of her since she was a puppy.

I have already found homes for them, that is the reason for me going to pick them up.
I have a feeling that "found homes for them" means "found buyers for them," and that there's a market for the pups.

And have you offered to reimburse whomever it was who has been paying for food for the dog/puppies?

quincy

Photo evidence is good.

You may need to force your dog's return by sending a demand letter threatening legal action and/or going to court to seek their return.

Here is a good (albeit older) look at dog ownership and the laws in California, by William McCarty Noall, provided by Michigan State University's College of Law Animal Center: https://www.animallaw.info/article/animal-law-california

You will want to arm yourself with all the evidence you have proving you are the dog's owner - this will include not only photos but vet bills (vaccinations, etc).

The puppies, even if you have found homes for them, are not yet old enough to be separated from the mom dog.

Good luck.

Last edited:

johncabral89

I have a feeling that "found homes for them" means "found buyers for them," and that there's a market for the pups.

And have you offered to reimburse whomever it was who has been paying for food for the dog/puppies?
Yes I have offered to reimburse her. And the family member stated “I don’t want your fu**ing money”

The puppies are still feeding off the mother dog.

johncabral89

Photo evidence is good.

You may need to force your dog's return by sending a demand letter threatening legal action and/or going to court to seek their return.

Here is a good (albeit older) look at dog ownership and the laws in California, by William McCarty Niall, provided by Michigan State University's College of Law Animal Center: https://www.animallaw.info/article/animal-law-california

You will want to arm yourself with all the evidence you have proving you are the dog's owner - this will include not only photos but vet bills (vaccinations, etc).

The puppies, even if you have found homes for them, are not yet old enough to be separated from the mom dog.

Good luck.
Thank you! And thanks to everyone else who also responded.

quincy

Thank you! And thanks to everyone else who also responded.
You're welcome, John. We all appreciate the thanks.

I hope for everyone's sake that all can be resolved amicably without the need for court.

I also hope you have found good homes for the puppies. Make sure you do not separate the puppies from the mom dog too soon.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">