• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights and what should I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johncabral89

So me and my mom moved to a family members house and I stayed there for 2 months and then decided to leave. My dog was pregnant at the time and I me and my mom agreed to leave it with her.The dog had puppies and now the family members are saying I abandoned the mother dog so the puppies are theirs. They also claim they have been feeding the mother dog so that’s more then enough for them to claim my property. What rights do I have and what can I do to get my beloved dog back and her puppies.

quincy

So me and my mom moved to a family members house and I stayed there for 2 months and then decided to leave. My dog was pregnant at the time and I me and my mom agreed to leave it with her.The dog had puppies and now the family members are saying I abandoned the mother dog so the puppies are theirs. They also claim they have been feeding the mother dog so that’s more then enough for them to claim my property. What rights do I have and what can I do to get my beloved dog back and her puppies.
What is the name of your state, johncabral89?

How long was it after you left your relative's house that your dog had her puppies (the gestation time for dogs is 63+/- days)?

How long total have you been away from your dog?

Whose name is on the dog's papers?

Have you paid for any of your dog's and the puppies expenses?

Had the relative agreed to care for your dog and the puppies before you and your mother left?

Last edited:

adjusterjack

What rights do I have and what can I do to get my beloved dog back and her puppies.
Some states allow you to sue in small claims court for the return of property, others just for money.

Can't tell you which because you ignored the question about your state.

johncabral89

What is the name of your state, johncabral89?

How long was it after you left your relative's house that your dog had her puppies (the gestation time for dogs is 63+/- days)?

How long total have you been away from your dog?

Whose name is on the dog's papers?

Have you paid for any of your dog's and the puppies expenses?

Had the relative agreed to care for your dog and the puppies before you and your mother left?
My state is California.

2 months after I left. The puppies are 3 weeks old.

I’ve been to the property to visit my mother 10+ times since I left and as soon as I found out the dog had the puppies would go visit it and the puppies regularly to see how they were doing.

The dog was never registered.

No, I left the dog with my mother. My mother remained on the property. My mother agreed to take care of it.

quincy

My state is California.

2 months after I left. The puppies are 3 weeks old.

I’ve been to the property to visit my mother 10+ times since I left and as soon as I found out the dog had the puppies would go visit it and the puppies regularly to see how they were doing.

The dog was never registered.

No, I left the dog with my mother. My mother remained on the property. My mother agreed to take care of it.
Thank you for answering my questions.

If your mother is there, how is it that the other relative is claiming ownership? Have you or your mother paid NOTHING toward the care of the dog and her puppies?

What exactly do you want to do? Your dog cannot leave the puppies. Do you have a place of your own?

Last edited:

xylene

Sounds like you relinquished ownership of your dog.

That's what agreed to leave the dog behind would mean.

As opposed to 'agreed to board the dog with them for a fixed period'

quincy

Sounds like you relinquished ownership of your dog.

That's what agreed to leave the dog behind would mean.

As opposed to 'agreed to board the dog with them for a fixed period'
Well, he said he left his dog in the care of his mother. That is a bit different than relinquishing ownership. You do not relinquish ownership of a pet by leaving them at a kennel, for example.

xylene

Well, he said he left his dog in the care of his mother. That is a bit different than relinquishing ownership. You do not relinquish ownership of a pet by leaving them at a kennel, for example.
One does not leave an animal in the care of a kennel for an unspecified and indefinite duration.

"Mom, I'm leaving, please take care of my dog." That's a permanent transfer of custodial responsibility, aka ownership.

To be fair tho, I'm kinda fuzzy on the particulars about the mom /relative dynamic and OP is being obtuse about that.

quincy

One does not leave an animal in the care of a kennel for an unspecified and indefinite duration.

"Mom, I'm leaving, please take care of my dog." That's a permanent transfer of custodial responsibility, aka ownership.

To be fair tho, I'm kinda fuzzy on the particulars about the mom /relative dynamic and OP is being obtuse about that.
That is not (necessarily) relinquishing ownership. It is transferring responsibility for the care of the animal to someone else (for an unspecified amount of time).

If he has been visiting the dog on a regular basis, he also cannot be said to have abandoned his pet.

But having someone care for your pet, on its own, is not a permanent transfer of ownership.

I agree that more needs to be known about the relative's claims and the reasons for them.

xylene

That is not (necessarily) relinquishing ownership. It is transferring responsibility for the care of the animal to someone else (for an unspecified amount of time).

If he has been visiting the dog on a regular basis, he also cannot be said to have abandoned his pet.

But having someone care for your pet, on its own, is not a permanent transfer of ownership.

I agree that more needs to be known about the relative's claims and the reasons for them.
Dogs (generally) don't have titles or elaborate proof of ownership, and this one in particular is know not to.

He didn't need to declare "you own the dog now ma" for the OP's donative intent and acceptance by Ma to be clear.

I'm of the opinion he gave up the dog and visiting doesn't change that. Visiting the dog doesn't mean he still owned it, in fact since he did not reclaim the dog at those opportunities, it furthers the claim the dog was no longer his property. Emotional attachment is not ownership.

PayrollHRGuy

While I don't agree with you xylene let's say he did give up ownership. He didn't give it up to the family members who are claiming ownership of the dog and puppies. He gave it up to his mother.

xylene

While I don't agree with you xylene let's say he did give up ownership. He didn't give it up to the family members who are claiming ownership of the dog and puppies. He gave it up to his mother.
Then that's between mom and the family members. :rolleyes:

And maybe, since she is still living there not rocking that boat is more important than getting her kid back the dog that was given up.

PayrollHRGuy

No it isn't. If the Mom isn't saying he gave her the dog then he didn't. If he didn't give the dog to the mother she had no right to give them to the family.

PayrollHRGuy

The best and only information we have is from the OP. He wrote, "...me and my mom agreed to leave it with her." Anything above that you are guessing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">