• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongly towed from disabled parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manny1960

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? (california,riverside. 92507)
on may 15, 2010, my wife, 22 year old daughter, and 2 year old grand son, went in to a food 4 less to shop, within 40 minutes, we came out to find our car gone, towed from a disabled parking(MY PLACARD WAS ON THE CONSOLE) not on the mirror, IT WAS VISIBLE IF ONE WOULD OF LOOKED INTO THE CAR, we had a basket full of groceries, my grandson was without diapers and anything to drink, my medications were in the car, YES they have a picture of the mirror and no placard visible, my groceries defrosted, we wasted over $150.00,, there is a california code 22953(a) called "GOOD FAITH INQUIRY" or (section (d) 22658, there are procedures that the security woman who called the tow truck , that were not followed, we receieved no paperwork from her 1-The time the car was observed 2-the time the authoization to tow the vehicle 3-the tow company was to provide us with authoization paper-work, c.v.c.22507.8(a) they over charged us it cost $309.00, other complaints have been made over this tow truck corp.

swalsh411

Does CA require the placard to be hanging from the rear-view mirror? I know the ones in PA and VA do. If it does, the tow was legal.

justalayman

here is the pertinent section of CVC 22953

Removal Prohibited

22953. (a) An owner or person in lawful possession of private property that is held open to the public, or a discernible portion thereof, for parking of vehicles at no fee, or an employee or agent thereof, shall not tow or remove, or cause the towing or removal, of a vehicle within one hour of the vehicle being parked.

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), a vehicle may be removed immediately after being illegally parked within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, in a fire lane, in a manner that interferes with an entrance to, or an exit from, the private property, or in a parking space or stall legally designated for disabled persons

justalayman

Where's the more pertinent (to this case) section which requires the placard to hang from the mirror?
I didn't look that up. You are welcome to if you would like it.

That section you want is not "more pertinent" (to this case) because it is not in dispute from what I read. OP did cite the code I posted though as a claim that the tow operator could not legally tow the truck without some period of time elapsing since the time of parking. I simply wanted to let OP know they were wrong in their belief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">