• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do I have to wait until my lost social security check gets reissued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SingleDad33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My social security check was lost in November, and upon realizing it was lost I reported it SSA. The agent told me it would take 10 days to be reissued. It is now February and they said the matter is being investigated by the Treasury Department and once the investigation is complete the check will be reissued. How long will this investigation continue? I've searched the internet and some other's have continued to wait as long as 9 months. I really need this money.

commentator

It must be a certain number of days late before they can even begin the investigation. That sounds more like the ten days thing than that you contacted them and they said it would be there in ten days. Incidentally, you ARE receiving it by direct deposit, aren't you? in this day and time, there's no reason to do anything else.

There are two kinds of missing checks.
The first kind are those that never get cashed, withdrawn, never show up in your bank account (assuming you have direct deposit, which you do, don't you?) These can usually be reissued or reprocessed within a certain number of days.

The other kind is the one you say you never got, but it shows having been deposited. In the case of a paper check, it would be the one that had been cashed. This is a little bit tougher to rectify. Have you notified them again and asked what the issues are, why it has not yet been reissued, when you might expect to get it?

Exactly how late is it now? Are they saying that someone did actually get this check and cash it (if paper)or that it has been direct deposited? Is there some problem with your bank or some issue like that that kept you from getting the next regular check when it was due? In this day and time, with direct deposit of social security checks the norm, the "lost it in the mail" or "somebody stole it out of my mailbox" are seldom heard any more.

Last edited:

SingleDad33

This was my first check from Social Security (back pay). I did not have direct deposit set up, so I accepted the first payment as a paper check and all other payments via debit card. When i called them they said the money is still there and no one has cashed the check but its still being investigated.

BL

Have you gone down and ask at your local office about an emergency check.

Not sure about back benifit payments ,but if a regular payment is not received after about 4 days or so you can have an emergency check issued for around $400.00. You say it's because of hardship.

Then they will deduct that when they reissue the missing payment.

BTW , how did you lose the check ?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">