• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiver for overpayment/continuation of benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbmarie

What is the name of your state?PA
I met with my local SS office yesterday about my overpayment. It was very difficult emotionally, but they were very nice in helping me to fill out the forms (all of the financial information). I asked if I could continue to get my benefits or if they could deposit the check for my daughter that they electronically intercepted. They told me no, but I thought after you file an appeal your benefits could continue until a decision is made.

I also would like to know if they have to give you any advance notice of ending your benefits. I didn't get any and when I asked the 800 number they told me they sent a notice about termination of benefits to me in May. I never received anything. At the meeting yesterday I asked about this and asked for a copy of the notice. They told me there wasn't one, that a notice was never sent.

This is all very difficult. If I knew they were stopping my benefits a few months before, I would not have paid more than the minimum on my credit cards and set any extra money aside for this past month. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

zippysgoddess

We recently ran into a very similar situation, my husband's benefits shouldn't have been stopped at all, because he is a full time student attending a program through the Office of Vocational Rehab. If you want some answers, and action, contact your local Congressman, they will have you provide a statement of privacy giving them permission to look into the matter, as well as further information about your situation, and they will get answers for you.

We didn't know my DH's benefits were stopped until we were waiting for a deposit this month that wasn't there. Then we called and were told about it.

I contacted Congressman Peterson (the rep in our area) then sent DH the forms to fill out, and are agressively looking into this.

We are not the only ones from PA who have had this happen recently. Everyone involved lost benefits with no notive, received a letter of overpayment, and had their fund direct deposited, so it is suspected that someone screwed up somewhere. Contact your Congressman NOW and get them involved in the matter.

nanaboo38050

Contact Your Senators Office

Tennessee-Your Senators Office can help you more than anyone and they'll do it faster. They'll find out what's going on, and if they're doing right by you and your children. They'll let you know their results. GOOD LUCK
lbmarie said:
I met with my local SS office yesterday about my overpayment. It was very difficult emotionally, but they were very nice in helping me to fill out the forms (all of the financial information). I asked if I could continue to get my benefits or if they could deposit the check for my daughter that they electronically intercepted. They told me no, but I thought after you file an appeal your benefits could continue until a decision is made.

I also would like to know if they have to give you any advance notice of ending your benefits. I didn't get any and when I asked the 800 number they told me they sent a notice about termination of benefits to me in May. I never received anything. At the meeting yesterday I asked about this and asked for a copy of the notice. They told me there wasn't one, that a notice was never sent.

This is all very difficult. If I knew they were stopping my benefits a few months before, I would not have paid more than the minimum on my credit cards and set any extra money aside for this past month. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

45Frank

Why ? or what reason would there be for them to just stopping your benifits?
Just curios I hear of this on the site.

lbmarie said:

This is all very difficult.

nanaboo38050

Reason

Tennessee-As stated on the revised decision letter-by ALJ that replaced 1st one- it states--due to a computational error thats clearly shown on face, this allows me(the new ALJ)the right to re-open and revise the original decision.

lbmarie

Thank you to those who have responded. I really can use encouragement right now. I recently had an accident at home from blacking out (panick??). I was treated at the emergency room and I am doing fine. I had to cancel my last few weeks of appointments with my therapist. At this point I don't even know what the point is in continuing.

Anyway, in answer to the question about why my benefits just stopped. Apparently the favorable decison was supposed to be for a closed period even though I got a letter stating I was entitled to receive benefits after my hearing. I guess they decided they made a mistake and have now asked for repayment of the benefits.

This has been absolutely horrible to go through. I feel like I'm back to square one emotionally. I cannot even give advice to anyone because I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to do and kept them informed about EVERYTHING. The bottom line is they can and will do whatever they want to do.

lbmarie

Please tell me what this means?

Tennessee-As stated on the revised decision letter-by ALJ that replaced 1st one- it states--due to a computational error thats clearly shown on face, this allows me(the new ALJ)the right to re-open and revise the original decision.

nanaboo38050

ibmaria

Tennessee-You need to read the social security act,as it'll be very helpful to you.If you'll send me your e-mail address,I'll send you a copy that was e-mailed to me by a ssa employee. You'll feel better after you read this.

nanaboo38050

lbmaria

Tennessee--You need to also contact your congressman and senators offices,as they can help you, and their services are free.

45Frank

I am not nearly as smart as you are with these things so hear we go. By computation I assume you mean the amount one is to recieve? I am waiting three years Nov. I noticed on one of my printouts of what I paid to SS it is incorrect there are 3 years missing, my attorney and I figure that if I am approved that there is about a $90.00 per month error. SS oen home page chart. He suggested I wait till I'm approved, Does this mean that the ALJ can open the case and rerule on the case if I was just approved and hold things up again. Thanks from Worried again now.

lbmarie said:
Please tell me what this means?

lbmarie

I just sent a letter to my Congressman. I hope you are right about them helping. For some reason, I feel like nobody can help with this whole mess.

nanaboo38050

Tennessee--The computional error made by the judge involves violations of some of the code of federal regulations,and other things. They don't re-open and revise a case with a fully favorable decision to the claimant,only unfavorable decisions at the claimant's request. If you'll send me your e-mail address,I'll send you a copy of the social security act.I believe it'll help you some.

lbmarie

I sent you a private message with my email address earlier.I don' think they reopened my case. Just to clarify, the full favorable decision was supposed to be for a close period of time. But then I got a letter stating I was entitled to monthly benefits, and continued to get more information and more forms. Over the last few years they continued to review my case and I continued to respond to everything. I think the problem is that they were not suppposed to continue my benefits even though I was still disabled.

I am now waiting to hear their decison about the overpayment. I also need my benefits, but cannot get them. This is such a mess!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">