• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1080d in Ulster, NY. Georgia license.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolchicn

Hello, I was cited for 75 in a 65. What do you think is my best course of action? Should I just plead guilty and pay the fine, or should I try to fight it? I have a GA license. I would appreciate any responses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello, I was cited for 75 in a 65. What do you think is my best course of action? Should I just plead guilty and pay the fine, or should I try to fight it? I have a GA license. I would appreciate any responses.
What's your defense?

FlyingRon

I would suspect that given you're several states away and you haven't indicated anything sounding like a defense, that it would be cheaper to pay the fine rahter than appearing (or having an attorney appear). New York doesn't have anything along the line's of Georgia's Nolo, so your case is going to be heard on the merits (i.e., you're sure to lose).

coolchicn

I would suspect that given you're several states away and you haven't indicated anything sounding like a defense, that it would be cheaper to pay the fine rahter than appearing (or having an attorney appear). New York doesn't have anything along the line's of Georgia's Nolo, so your case is going to be heard on the merits (i.e., you're sure to lose).
Ok, thanks. I don't have much of a defense seeing as the officer already 'reduced' the charge. I will plead guilty and pay the fine but is there a chance that my license might be suspended? That's my only fear

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Ok, thanks. I don't have much of a defense seeing as the officer already 'reduced' the charge. I will plead guilty and pay the fine but is there a chance that my license might be suspended? That's my only fear
The only way your license will be suspended is if you fail to answer the ticket or fail to pay the fine once you enter a guilty plea.

FlyingRon

The only way your license will be suspended is if you fail to answer the ticket or fail to pay the fine once you enter a guilty plea.
Most likely he won't get caught until renewal time.

By the way, Georgia won't assess points for NY violations either.

HighwayMan

Most likely he won't get caught until renewal time.
Not sure what you mean by that.

If he fails to answer/pay then NY DMV will suspend his driving privilege in NY. A few months later, if the situation isn't resolved, NY DMV will notifiy GA DMV and his GA license will be suspended until the NY issue is taken care of.

ETA: Now I'm think you are referring to what may happen if GA finds out about the conviction (?)

FlyingRon

Not sure what you mean by that.

If he fails to answer/pay then NY DMV will suspend his driving privilege in NY. A few months later, if the situation isn't resolved, NY DMV will notifiy GA DMV and his GA license will be suspended until the NY issue is taken care of.
What I mean by that is that Georgia won't actively pursue a suspension just because NY marks him ineligible in the NDR. They will however refrain from allowing him to renew. Georgia isn't a compact state.

HighwayMan

New York doesn't have anything along the line's of Georgia's Nolo, so your case is going to be heard on the merits (i.e., you're sure to lose).

That's if it were to go to trial.

The usual scenario is that the OP would attend a pre-trial conference where he would speak to the prosecutor and be offered a "deal". The prosecutor has no idea that the officer/trooper already gave the OP a break. Depending on the town or village court, the fact that it's a low speed would create a good chance of getting the charge reduced to a non-speeding infraction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">