• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA DMV, Violation Date Vs. Conviction Date???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
When it comes to removing the points after 3 years, what date the CA DMV uses, the date on which the driver made the violation, or the date the driver was convicted at the court for that violation?
The DMV employee told me on the phone that they use the conviction date, but after searching he could not provide me the link to where it is said. Last time when I called the DMV, I got a total opposite answer from another employee. Now I myself found the link through Google, where it clearly says the violation date. I am posting the link here too, please go through it. What do you think? Why are these DMV employees confusing me, are they confused themselves?
I have a point on my license since August 2015.
I'm so excited that finally the point will fall off from my license, and I could get the good driver discount from my insurance company at next renewal.

Thank you

DMV Link

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/d...9v71PbUpXimKMPa9u7LG-eO16ffUlV5I7z4BU2-DsQ!!/

adjusterjack

Order a copy of your driving record.

Look at the date of the entry.

Was it the date you got the ticket or the date you got convicted?

You should know.

gabam

According to the following DMV page it's 39 months.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/teenweb/more_btn6/points/

How far apart are the citation and conviction dates?
They are far apart by 5 months. And why are we getting conflicting information regarding the two dates on CA DMV Website?
And if I dont get my point removed, I am going to increase my deductible from $1000 to $2500 to save some money. I guess thats my only option left now 😔 I have been such a responsible driver since the point that I received in 2015. I think I have learned my lesson, they should stop punishing me now 😔

gabam

And cops should give a warning(a lecture) for the first offence, and keep a record of that warning(lecture). If the driver breaks the law a 2nd time, then they should give a ticket. Punishing the driver with a fine, and an increase in insurance premium, for the first offence, is way too much of a punishment.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
And cops should give a warning(a lecture) for the first offence, and keep a record of that warning(lecture). If the driver breaks the law a 2nd time, then they should give a ticket. Punishing the driver with a fine, and an increase in insurance premium, for the first offence, is way too much of a punishment.
Really?

Look, I don't know what your offence was, but if it's something Captain Obvious that everyone should know, then chances are you broke the law many times before being stopped.

Yes, people absent mindedly let inspection stickers lapse, or don't realize a light is out, but do you have to be warned that you really should abide the speed limit, stop completely at stop signs, and that right on red means stop, yield to all traffic with a green light and pedestrians, and then go?

I will give you a hint: prior to your conviction, were those points on your license? Was your insurance retroactively increased to the date of your offence because of the points?

gabam

Really?

Look, I don't know what your offence was, but if it's something Captain Obvious that everyone should know, then chances are you broke the law many times before being stopped.

Yes, people absent mindedly let inspection stickers lapse, or don't realize a light is out, but do you have to be warned that you really should abide the speed limit, stop completely at stop signs, and that right on red means stop, yield to all traffic with a green light and pedestrians, and then go?

I will give you a hint: prior to your conviction, were those points on your license? Was your insurance retroactively increased to the date of your offence because of the points?
If I was a habitual lawbreaker, then I would break the law even after that ticket. I've had no more tickets after that one. I just made a right turn and I didn't know that I was not supposed to make that right turn during that time, I just couldn't see the timing there. And wow, what a confusing and complicated intersection that was, with signs all over the place. A rookie driver like me back then could have never figured that thing out You can consider that absent mindedness as well. A warning could have shaken me up, the way that ticket has shaken me up and has forced me to behave myself and be alert. I've heard that some cops do give a warning for the first offense, but I just got unlucky that day, it was my first mistake and I got punished badly for it. I told the officer that I was just confused, but he didn't listen 😔

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">