• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be charged a fee to request my rightful hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greengryphon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massacusetts

If you get a traffic ticket, you can just pay the fine or request a hearing. Massachusetts requires you to pay a $25 "court filing fee" to schedule the hearing. A citizen has the RIGHT to a hearing. It's even written as such on the ticket. Even if found not responsible, you're still out $25. Any ticket is guaranteed money for the state, guilty or not. That seems unconstitutionally wrong. By what authority can they charge a fee to exercise rights?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massacusetts

If you get a traffic ticket, you can just pay the fine or request a hearing. Massachusetts requires you to pay a $25 "court filing fee" to schedule the hearing. A citizen has the RIGHT to a hearing. It's even written as such on the ticket. Even if found not responsible, you're still out $25. Any ticket is guaranteed money for the state, guilty or not. That seems unconstitutionally wrong. By what authority can they charge a fee to exercise rights?
The underlined is not true. If you prevail on all of the charges on the ticket, your $25 will be refunded. https://www.mass.gov/how-to/appeal-your-traffic-ticket

I am curious, did you actually receive a ticket, or are you simply bothered by the requirement?

greengryphon

The underlined is not true. If you prevail on all of the charges on the ticket, your $25 will be refunded. https://www.mass.gov/how-to/appeal-your-traffic-ticket

I am curious, did you actually receive a ticket, or are you simply bothered by the requirement?
Yes, I did get the ticket. Nowhere on the ticket does it state anything about a refund.

Thanks for the link. Apparently the fee policy was changed just a few months ago.

If I ever find the guy who sued the registrar, I'm gonna buy him lunch.

Also, tickets in MA are no longer hand written by the officer from a pad of citations. They are computer generated on a full size sheet of paper. There's no reason not to have all the relevant details in print.

thanks

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Y
Also, tickets in MA are no longer hand written by the officer from a pad of citations. They are computer generated on a full size sheet of paper. There's no reason not to have all the relevant details in print.

The traffic ticket is a charging instrument - there is no reason for it to contain a complete listing of court rules and procedures as they relate to said traffic ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">