• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper right turn defence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krassyg72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Made a right turn from the middle lane on 6th and 23rd Street in NYC during rush hour. What should I tell the judge?

1.Avoiding yellow cab loading/unloading passengers.
2.Not being able to merge in the right lane on time and in order not to block traffic behind me.
3.Both(not being able to merge after yellow cab)

Just trying to avoid the two points; don't care for the fine.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Neither of those are defenses. If you weren't able to make the turn legally, you should have proceeded straight.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
No one here will help you by making up excuses for you.

You were wrong, plain and simple. I see no defense.

Why are you so hung up on points? Do you have prior convictions for infractions that have occurred within the past 18 months?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No one here will help you by making up excuses for you.
I agree. In this case, however, I think the OP may have had both things going on, so wants to know which is "better". As I stated (and you did too), neither is a defense. The question is moot.

HighwayMan

My guess is that the intersection in question was a targeted enforcement location.

If the usual cops were doing the enforcement there then there will be no chance for the OP to win.

krassyg72

My guess is that the intersection in question was a targeted enforcement location.

If the usual cops were doing the enforcement there then there will be no chance for the OP to win.
It was; I understand that I most likely won't win. I am simply hoping for the judge to show leniency and only enforce the fine and not the points. It was freaking rush hour in NYC; hell on earth doesn't begin describing it.

HighwayMan

It was; I understand that I most likely won't win. I am simply hoping for the judge to show leniency and only enforce the fine and not the points. It was freaking rush hour in NYC; hell on earth doesn't begin describing it.
I know what driving in Manhattan during rush hour is like but that is no excuse. The judges in the Manhattan South TVB have heard it all.

If you are found guilty the judge has no discretion with points, only the fine. Once the conviction gets entered the points go right along with it.

Points themselves mean nothing unless you are a persistent violator, so either you don't understand that (most people don't) or you have a bad driving record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">