• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping Hands on Steering Wheel in Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

autocarnerd

I've been digging into whether or not there are laws requiring drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel. It seems like most states do not have any explicit laws requiring drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel - rather its listed as one of the "best practices" in most states' drivers ed books.

Here in Massachusetts in 2010 the "AN ACT RELATIVE TO SAFE DRIVING" was enacted, and Section 8 states:

"Section 13 of said chapter 90, as appearing in the 2008 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out the first sentence and inserting in place thereof the following sentence:-

No person, when operating a motor vehicle, shall permit to be on or in the vehicle or on or about his person anything which may interfere with or impede the proper operation of the vehicle or any equipment by which the vehicle is operator or controlled, except that a person may operate a motor vehicle while using a federally licensed 2-way radio or mobile telephone, except as provided in sections 8M, 12A and 13B, as long as 1 hand remains on the steering wheel at all times."

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Sessi...010/Chapter155

The last sentence is a bit confusing to me since it ends with "as long as 1 hand remains on the steering wheel at all times.", but is this only in reference to "federally licensed 2-way radio or mobile telephone" use? Or is it written in a way that requires 1 hand on the steering wheel at all times, regardless of using a mobile phone or other devices?

Say you're driving down a straight road, and you take both hands off the steering wheel (rest them on your lap) and were not using a "federally licensed 2-way radio or mobile telephone". I realize this is not good practice, but would this be considered illegal based on how the law above is written?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've been digging into whether or not there are laws requiring drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel. It seems like most states do not have any explicit laws requiring drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel - rather its listed as one of the "best practices" in most states' drivers ed books.

Here in Massachusetts in 2010 the "AN ACT RELATIVE TO SAFE DRIVING" was enacted, and Section 8 states:

"Section 13 of said chapter 90, as appearing in the 2008 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out the first sentence and inserting in place thereof the following sentence:-

No person, when operating a motor vehicle, shall permit to be on or in the vehicle or on or about his person anything which may interfere with or impede the proper operation of the vehicle or any equipment by which the vehicle is operator or controlled, except that a person may operate a motor vehicle while using a federally licensed 2-way radio or mobile telephone, except as provided in sections 8M, 12A and 13B, as long as 1 hand remains on the steering wheel at all times."

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Sessi...010/Chapter155

The last sentence is a bit confusing to me since it ends with "as long as 1 hand remains on the steering wheel at all times.", but is this only in reference to "federally licensed 2-way radio or mobile telephone" use? Or is it written in a way that requires 1 hand on the steering wheel at all times, regardless of using a mobile phone or other devices?

Say you're driving down a straight road, and you take both hands off the steering wheel (rest them on your lap) and were not using a "federally licensed 2-way radio or mobile telephone". I realize this is not good practice, but would this be considered illegal based on how the law above is written?
If you have been cited for violation of the law based on not having your hands on the wheel, please tell us what code section you're accused of violating.

If this is just a hypothetical...well, we really don't "do" hypotheticals.

autocarnerd

If you have been cited for violation of the law based on not having your hands on the wheel, please tell us what code section you're accused of violating.

If this is just a hypothetical...well, we really don't "do" hypotheticals.
This is less of a hypothetical and more of a "i would like to get a better understanding of how the law is written" question.

I understand if this is not the place for that. I am looking for clarification on this front.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is less of a hypothetical and more of a "i would like to get a better understanding of how the law is written" question.

I understand if this is not the place for that. I am looking for clarification on this front.
Generally, we prefer to spend our time helping folks who have an actual issue they are dealing with. You are just as capable as we are of searching the web for answers. Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">