• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer would not allow me to read the ticket before signing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paulaktut

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I was pulled over for driving 53 mph in a 40 mph zone. I was given a clipboard with the citation and just above the place for me to sign was a note highlighted in red and bold font stating "IMPORTANT Read instructions on reverse side of Defendant's copy". I turned the clipboard over to read the back of the citation and the officer told me not to handle his clipboard like that. I told him that I wanted to read the information on the back before signing the citation. He said that I could read it after I signed it. I informed him that I would not sign anything before reading it and he said in that case he would arrest me. I then asked if I could record him saying that and he said it was being recorded by his body camera. Under fear of being arrested I signed the citation. The whole altercation from when I stopped to when I drove away was under 12 minutes, so I was not wasting the officer's time. I have requested audio and video from the incident. Were my rights violated?

CdwJava

The signature is only an acknowledgement of receipt, not an admission of guilt. The instructions on the reverse side was likely for you read AFTER you obtained your copy. However, you are free not to sign if you wish ... and the officer would be free to arrest you. Keep in mind, in your state a person can be taken to jail for a traffic offense - a cite is the lesser option, not always a requirement.

So, no, your "rights" were not violated. If you feel the officer was rude or behaved unprofessionally, you are free to complain to his employing agency.

FlyingRon

The only thing that you need to read at the time you sign a citation is the stuff in the signature box:

"I hereby promise to appear at the time and place designated."

or similar wording.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">