• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Trooper charged me for merging out of an Exit Only lane.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popsicle123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I ended up stuck in the right Exit Only lane of a three way highway due to stopped traffic in the left two lanes. My only option, I felt, was to take the exit off the highway and figure something else out. At the last moment, I merged in to open space the size of a school bus - blinker was on well ahead of time and I didn't even have to brake because I was only driving 15 mph. A state trooper I had passed in traffic pulled me over and charged me for "Driving On Roadways Laned For Traffic" - "Failed to drive within a single lane or movement from lane was not made safely."

(1) Driving within single lane.--A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.
The ticket is only $151 so it's really easy just to pay the ticket and forget about it. On the other hand, I'd like to know if this is actually an illegal move. He accused me of cutting someone off - I don't believe I did and I don't believe that's what the charge is. I feel like I was pulled over because the cop was personally pissed off because he was sitting in traffic for so long. His only question to me was, "do you think what you did was fair?".

Is this worth my time and money to go to court over this?

FlyingRon

It sounds like the issue isn't so much that you moved out of an EXIT ONLY lane but rather than you did so in a manner that the officer thought was not safe. Having your blinker on and not having to brake have nothing to do with whether it was a safe manouver.

pac72

if it goes to court, im sure his description of your merge wont sound like it was done safely..but you do have the right to be heard to defend yourself on the charges,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you truly get "stuck" in an exit-only lane (unlikely if you pay attention to signage and lane marking and don't get greedy), then a very real option is to obey the law by exiting and then reentering the highway legally.

FlyingRon

If you truly get "stuck" in an exit-only lane (unlikely if you pay attention to signage and lane marking and don't get greedy), then a very real option is to obey the law by exiting and then reentering the highway legally.
There is nothing illegal about merging out of an exit only lane provided it is done safely and without breaking other laws (like driving across the gores or whatever).
What he was cited for was an unsafe lane change (supported by the cop telling him he "cut someone off").

Of course if you can't make a safe and legal change out of the lane, yes the answer is to take the exit. It's right up there with not backing up the exit ramp of an exit you took by mistake.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is nothing illegal about merging out of an exit only lane provided it is done safely and without breaking other laws (like driving across the gores or whatever).
What he was cited for was an unsafe lane change (supported by the cop telling him he "cut someone off").

Of course if you can't make a safe and legal change out of the lane, yes the answer is to take the exit. It's right up there with not backing up the exit ramp of an exit you took by mistake.
That's what I meant. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">