• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Horse Jockey Rights are outdated by a 100 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennifer2017

A horse jockey friend asked me if I knew anything about employment law. First, jockeys do not have written contracts with their agents. His agent stated he is owed $3000 from a race the jockey ran, after the agent was fired. The agent has put word out in the horse racing industry about the jockey and now the jockey can't find work. He is being blackballed, even in other states where the jockey rides. The jockey has been riding professionally since 2001. He has a family and bills to pay. There is no union they belong to that protect their rights, and no governing body in the horse racing commission that takes care of issues promptly. Most issues get swept under the rug. Out of the tracks, owners, trainers, agents, and horses, it is the rider that is treated bottom of the totem pole. Who does he go to for help?

quincy

A horse jockey friend asked me if I knew anything about employment law. First, jockeys do not have written contracts with their agents. His agent stated he is owed $3000 from a race the jockey ran, after the agent was fired. The agent has put word out in the horse racing industry about the jockey and now the jockey can't find work. He is being blackballed, even in other states where the jockey rides. The jockey has been riding professionally since 2001. He has a family and bills to pay. There is no union they belong to that protect their rights, and no governing body in the horse racing commission that takes care of issues promptly. Most issues get swept under the rug. Out of the tracks, owners, trainers, agents, and horses, it is the rider that is treated bottom of the totem pole. Who does he go to for help?
What is the name of your state?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
While that is unfortunate that he is having trouble finding work, his situation is not any different than any other employee or independent contractor, s the case may be. The assertion in your header that jockey rights are outdated by 100 years is not accurate. Jockeys could form a union if they choose to do so. Jockeys have the same rights and same protections as those in most any other private employment situation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not convinced that jockeys are employees that fall under employment law. I'm tending towards IC's. But I could be convinced otherwise.

quincy

I'm not convinced that jockeys are employees that fall under employment law. I'm tending towards IC's. But I could be convinced otherwise.
Jockeys are independent contractors. They are hired on a race-by-race basis.

Jockey's Guild: http://www.jockeysguild.com

Jennifer, your friend needs to find a new agent. It is through his agent only that he will be hired.

Jennifer2017

While that is unfortunate that he is having trouble finding work, his situation is not any different than any other employee or independent contractor, s the case may be. The assertion in your header that jockey rights are outdated by 100 years is not accurate. Jockeys could form a union if they choose to do so. Jockeys have the same rights and same protections as those in most any other private employment situation.
Right, I understand. During the Secretariat days, there was no agent. Agents came upon the scene because these pimps saw an opportunity. Jockeys are too afraid to start a union because they're ALL afraid to lose their jobs for even saying a word about anything negative. If they mention they're unhappy, or if an agent states he is owed money even though he is not, they lose jobs. As if the depression isn't hard enough dealing with starvation, laxatives, hotboxes and vomiting, the stress is overwhelming if the agent is spreading rumors. Where is the justice? The Jockeys Guild provides life insurance to the family in case they should die on the track, that is all. The stewards turn a blind eye, the state horse racing commissions shuffle the paperwork into the trash. There is no governing body that these pimps are accountable to. Does the NFL go through this? Basketball, golf, hockey, any other sport go through this? No. Where does he start?

quincy

That's pretty much what I thought, which means employment law does not apply.
Right.

The way a jockey earns money is to win the races he has been booked by his agent to ride. The jockey generally will only get a maximum of 10% of any winning purse, so he needs to be booked to ride a lot - and he needs to win a lot. A good agent will work to get his jockeys on the best horses.

Of all professional athletes, jockeys earn the least - and it is the most dangerous of all professional sports.

Unfortunately, because a jockey is not tied to any one horse or to any one horse owner, it is hard for a jockey to get corporate sponsorships (which is how many/most pro athletes build wealth) and, in fact, jockeys are not allowed to have corporate sponsors in many states or in many races - or without permission of the horse owner.

Your jockey-friend, Jennifer, will have a difficult time organizing jockeys and it stands to be as an organized group that they will have the most success in making changes. I recommend your friend consult with a sports attorney in Louisiana (one who is also an agent) to discuss options.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Right, I understand. During the Secretariat days, there was no agent. Agents came upon the scene because these pimps saw an opportunity. Jockeys are too afraid to start a union because they're ALL afraid to lose their jobs for even saying a word about anything negative. If they mention they're unhappy, or if an agent states he is owed money even though he is not, they lose jobs. As if the depression isn't hard enough dealing with starvation, laxatives, hotboxes and vomiting, the stress is overwhelming if the agent is spreading rumors. Where is the justice? The Jockeys Guild provides life insurance to the family in case they should die on the track, that is all. The stewards turn a blind eye, the state horse racing commissions shuffle the paperwork into the trash. There is no governing body that these pimps are accountable to. Does the NFL go through this? Basketball, golf, hockey, any other sport go through this? No. Where does he start?
By doing his own research?

Jennifer2017

The jockey friend might also want to think about a career change. Sixteen years is a long time to be employed as a rider.
I'm sure you're aware that a lot of these lifetime racetrackers in Louisiana dropped out of high school to pursue the sport. I really appreciate your honesty and knowledge. Your advice to seek a sports attorney is what I'll tell him to do. Is there a law that protects athletes from unscrupulous sports agents?

quincy

I'm sure you're aware that a lot of these lifetime racetrackers in Louisiana dropped out of high school to pursue the sport. I really appreciate your honesty and knowledge. Your advice to seek a sports attorney is what I'll tell him to do. Is there a law that protects athletes from unscrupulous sports agents?
I understand that many jockeys start riding at a very young age and racing is not only their career but the only life they know. I also understand that most jockeys sacrifice their health for their sport. Many jockeys leave the sport in their 30s, not because they are too old to ride (Shoemaker rode - and won races - in his 50s) but because their bodies have been too damaged for them to safely continue.

Any agent who conducts his business in an illegal manner can be held accountable for his actions. An agent can be both criminally prosecuted and sued in a civil action, depending on what it is he has done.

Speaking to an attorney who knows well the horse racing business could benefit your friend, especially if your friend is interested in establishing an organization for jockeys.

Good luck.

Last edited:

xylene

Gambling and horse racing especially should be abolished.

We need glue not betting on FIXED races.

Tough manure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">