• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Publishing Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

XayScott

The state is California, Dandy Don. It helps to read the thread. And California has perhaps more entertainment lawyers than any state in the country.

There are no royalties being paid because of the dispute over copyright ownership in the musical composition.
UPDATE: The problem is said offender actually forged my name on split sheets. My PRO nor publisher verified said documents with me until I asked a month later about the proceedings of my dispute and in fact ignored me when I asked a month prior before I was even told such documentation existed. I was told they could do nothing because they had "split sheets signed by me" which is nearly impossible as said offender and I haven't talked for over a year. I have also notified both my publisher and PRO that the documents are fraudulent and they have ruthlessly disregarded my evidence proving the truth. I can not find any legal counsel that is willing to touch my case due to how costly it will be and the fact it is a limited civil (non-collections) type of case. Any advice here? I can take a hit on the shares but my rights are being severely violated here. To be told I have to bite a bullet and essentially be out of luck just because the case "doesn't cost enough" isn't really fair nor does it uphold my civil rights in the matter.

quincy

UPDATE: The problem is said offender actually forged my name on split sheets. My PRO nor publisher verified said documents with me until I asked a month later about the proceedings of my dispute and in fact ignored me when I asked a month prior before I was even told such documentation existed. I was told they could do nothing because they had "split sheets signed by me" which is nearly impossible as said offender and I haven't talked for over a year. I have also notified both my publisher and PRO that the documents are fraudulent and they have ruthlessly disregarded my evidence proving the truth. I can not find any legal counsel that is willing to touch my case due to how costly it will be and the fact it is a limited civil (non-collections) type of case. Any advice here? I can take a hit on the shares but my rights are being severely violated here. To be told I have to bite a bullet and essentially be out of luck just because the case "doesn't cost enough" isn't really fair nor does it uphold my civil rights in the matter.
I suggest you contact the California Lawyerss for the Arts (link provided in a previous post) and find an agent to assist you.

You need to have all documents personally reviewed to begin with - and we are unable to provide that service on this forum. Start with this personal review and move from there.

I know some artists/musicians who have had to ride out bad contracts because the penalties for breaching the terms were too great. But it seems clear you will eventually need to find another publisher so you might want to start researching publishers now. I also believe you would benefit from having an agent.

I was hoping your update would have positive news. I am sorry that is not the case. Good luck.

XayScott

I suggest you contact the California Lawyerss for the Arts (link provided in a previous post) and find an agent to assist you.

You need to have all documents personally reviewed to begin with - and we are unable to provide that service on this forum. Start with this personal review and move from there.

I know some artists/musicians who have had to ride out bad contracts because the penalties for breaching the terms were too great. But it seems clear you will eventually need to find another publisher so you might want to start researching publishers now. I also believe you would benefit from having an agent.

I was hoping your update would have positive news. I am sorry that is not the case. Good luck.
They were actually the first firm I reached out to and the rep on the phone actually told me there weren't but two attorney's in that area of law that could consult with me and that he didn't want to waste my time and would refer me to another service. I took the number down but hit more brick walls. I've been looking into agencies but not sure how that would help or complicate my situation at this point.

quincy

They were actually the first firm I reached out to and the rep on the phone actually told me there weren't but two attorney's in that area of law that could consult with me and that he didn't want to waste my time and would refer me to another service. I took the number down but hit more brick walls. I've been looking into agencies but not sure how that would help or complicate my situation at this point.
Interesting. What other service were you referred to?

I don't see how your situation can get more complicated. :)

You need help uncomplicating it. and this will require local personal assistance.

ALawyer

I don't believe you've put any retainer on the table. And, if you HAVE offered to pay what they would be asking ($300-$500 per hour, 10 hours retainer probably), and you were still turned down, then it's pretty obvious you don't have any case to be heard.
According to the State Bar of California, as of yesterday there were 189,709 lawyers who were actively licensed in California and 58,363 who could reactivate their licenses if they wished to do so. https://members.calbar.ca.gov/search/demographics.aspx While you don't have the time or energy to contact all of them, surely there is one hungry lawyer out there who would be pleased to take you on as a client. If the rights you think you have are valuable, and you're at stalemate, it might be a good investment to retain one and then follow his or her advice.Where to start looking?

AttorneyPages.com, or the local county bar association in a major city such as Los Angeles might be a good place to start and there also is the State Bar's intellectual property law section http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/Sections/Intellectual-Property-Law/About. Many California lawyers are well versed in copyright law issues and royalty matters, and would be willing to take on private clients who pay them -- even if in the end they say you have no case, or it's unlikely worth your while to proceed. My sense is that while their minimum and hourly charge to review a matter may be even higher than previously suggested -- especially for more experienced lawyers -- some law schools have programs that might also help.

quincy

According to the State Bar of California, as of yesterday there were 189,709 lawyers who were actively licensed in California and 58,363 who could reactivate their licenses if they wished to do so. https://members.calbar.ca.gov/search/demographics.aspx While you don't have the time or energy to contact all of them, surely there is one hungry lawyer out there who would be pleased to take you on as a client. If the rights you think you have are valuable, and you're at stalemate, it might be a good investment to retain one and then follow his or her advice.Where to start looking?

AttorneyPages.com, or the local county bar association in a major city such as Los Angeles might be a good place to start and there also is the State Bar's intellectual property law section http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/Sections/Intellectual-Property-Law/About. Many California lawyers are well versed in copyright law issues and royalty matters, and would be willing to take on private clients who pay them -- even if in the end they say you have no case, or it's unlikely worth your while to proceed. My sense is that while their minimum and hourly charge to review a matter may be even higher than previously suggested -- especially for more experienced lawyers -- some law schools have programs that might also help.
I referred XayScott to all of those sites and resources already, and, in addition, to the California Lawyers for the Arts Organization.

There are lawyers aplenty in his area who specialize in this field of law, and many many attorney-agents.

I am quite frankly puzzled by the inability to locate help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">