• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My face in a documentary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KTL

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I am an honorably discharged Marine and I am seeking an answer as to if my face could be used in Mr. Michael Moore's documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11?" My platoon was sent into a combat area soon after 9/11 and there were reporters with cameras and such. They would record us doing our thing. I came home and when the documentary was released my friend saw me in it. I went to see for my self and sure enough I was in his film, a close-up of me. One might ask how I know it was me, well, I am Native American and was wearing certain cultural items and they can be clearly seen in the film. So, does anyone know anything that might answer if he can use me in his film without my knowledge since the footage was not shot by him? I have tried to contact Mr.Moore twice but no response. I thank you for any advice.

stephenk

other than seeing your face, what did you say or do in the portion that is shown on the film? How long were you on?

Are you saying you didn't know you were being filmed?

KTL

Oklahoma
I was on a patrol atop my vehicle and there was a reporter tagging along. I was throwing candy to the little kiddies. This was about a 5 sec close-up of my head and shoulders in the film. I do not know who the news reporter was affiliated with that shot the footage as there was many reporters there.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

And, you're looking for what out of this?

I would think that you would have learned something from the documentary, and would have concluded that the Iraqi "police action" is far more "offensive" itself, than your face in a 5-second cameo.

The whole damn thing has turned into a waste of America's time, thanks to President Nixon, er, President Bush.

IAAL

KTL

While your opinions are your own I am looking for any advice as to if Mr. Moore could put me his movie without my knowledge. That is what I am looking for because as you have expressed your opinion to me I am expressing mine by not wanting to be in his movie. If I should have "learned something" is not relevant here.

stephenk

if Moore used stock news footage, then he doesn't need your permission. if he or his camera crew filmed you for the movie, they would have needed you to give permission to be in the film.

racer72

You have nothing. You were taking part in a newsworthy event and your permission is not required. Do you think Moore asked shrub, err Bush for permission to be in his documentery? No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">