• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my Youtube Name Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jackthefall

My Youtube username is Jackthefall. My problem is that there is a band that goes by the name Blessthefall. Are the names too similar in that I may receive legal issues? My youtube channel is used for gaming and has nothing to do with music.

Thank you for all your help!

quincy

My Youtube username is Jackthefall. My problem is that there is a band that goes by the name Blessthefall. Are the names too similar in that I may receive legal issues? My youtube channel is used for gaming and has nothing to do with music.

Thank you for all your help!
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

I do not see any conflict with your username and the name of the band that should cause for you a legal issue, based on the information you have provided here.

That said, what is important is not what I think but what the band (and consumers) think. If consumers confuse you with the band (which seems unlikely) or if the band believes your username infringes on their trademark (again this seems unlikely), the band can demand you change your name.

This demand can come whether the demand is a reasonable one or not.

You can have an attorney in your area review all facts and offer an opinion if you are concerned.

adjusterjack

My opinion and 5 bucks might get you coffee at Starbucks but I, too, think it's unlikely that you have anything to worry about.

quincy

My opinion and 5 bucks might get you coffee at Starbucks but I, too, think it's unlikely that you have anything to worry about.
You apparently do not get the salted caramel mocha venti. ;)

Unless Blessthefall is into gaming or Jackthefall is into music, consumers would have to be VERY confused to mistake one for the other.

quincy

Is the name of one of the band members named Jack? Or John?
Is your question one of curiosity only? This thread is from June of last year.

The name "Jack" shouldn't be an issue even if a member of Blessthefall is named Jack (unless, of course, the members of Blessthefall wish to make it an issue).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">