• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

video game tournaments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spirrwitz

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am an owner of an event production company wanting to do video game tournaments. I hear a lot about the gambling laws whenever I bring up the topic of a video game tournament. Is there gaming laws against cash prizes for video game tournaments? What do I need to keep in mind when I do this type of tournament?

Thanks...

bigloser24

Since nobody from Ohio replied, I thought I'd share what I (think) I know about NY law. When it comes to Poker tournaments, similar but different, as long as the "house" doesn't take a "fee", it's just a legal contest, not gambling; almost like a raffle. Of course the "house" (you) could just be another participant and have the same chance of winning as everyone else without "making anything" on it.

If I'm wrong, please don;t hold it against me. Just thought I'd add my two cents.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">