• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buy-In Video Game Tournaments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matts1

I am living in Pennsylvania..

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this here. I am thinking about starting a business/website, where users of a popular online video game could register an account, login and buy in to tournaments which would be set up, administrated etc by us. The website would take the buy in fees and then give out prizes to the winners.

I'm not sure if this sort of thing would be considered gambling, or not? I know that local video game stores host unofficial tournaments of this game all the time which appear to be perfectly legal.

Is anyone able to help me? Any info is GREATLY appreciated.

Matt

randscott

I'm no expert but that sounds similar to like an online poker site. where people who run that need to aquire an offshore address or something, I'm not exactly sure how they do it, but I know a guy who started an online poker room and he had to set it all up in the carribean. He actually works in chicago but has it set up there then downloads to the site and the site itself are accessable from the u.s. You might want to look into that but I don't know if that's legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">