• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a DBA for a corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violethuez

I plan on having different businesses under one corporation. I am in NY and was wondering about the filing fee. If the state says:
"The Department of State collects the following, additional, county clerk fees for each county in which a corporation does business or transacts business:"

do I need to only add the fee per county where I have a physical location? or if I plan on servicing the Hudson Valley, do I need to provide a fee for the entire 10 counties that exist there? the business is online and will have an online shopping cart, I have the one location only but service the Hudson Valley. Thanks

FlyingRon

First, you need only file the assumed name registration if you intend to operate under a name that's different than the legal entity (in this case the corporate name).
If you use your corporate name, you don't need the registration anywhere.

What do you mean by servicing the Hudson Valley? What do your customers get after they conduct their online transaction (it matters).

violethuez

What they get

First, you need only file the assumed name registration if you intend to operate under a name that's different than the legal entity (in this case the corporate name).
If you use your corporate name, you don't need the registration anywhere.

What do you mean by servicing the Hudson Valley? What do your customers get after they conduct their online transaction (it matters).
I have a website listing service for small businesses, artists, groups. The website has its name and brand. I wanted the corporation to be different because I didn't want it to be limited to the Hudson Valley. That is why I was going to file the DBA, so I can capture the name/brand that I will be using for my site as well as set up a different entity down the road.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">