• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To Amend or Not to Amend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

Last year April 14th, '09 I mailed my 2008 Federal and CA return (due to income from an installment sale of vacant land in CA, I'm a NV resident) along with my 2007 Amended Federal and CA return. I mailed it from a USPS located inside a convenient store (bad idea) as it was the only place open at the time. Due to the incompetent worker there who made all sorts of mistakes in sending my returns, the fed took 1 month to reach the IRS, the CA was returned, and the 2 amended returns were lost completely. The amendments were pretty minor, I just realized I made a small mistake on how I calculated the interest on the installment sale. So it didn't really change my total income just the amount going to capital gains vs interest income. The result was I owed the Fed $10 and CA $3 so I sent them checks, which were never cashed, that's how I know they never received the amendments, that and I called them several times and asked. After I mailed the all those returns the person paying me in that installment sale was having trouble paying me, so I modified the note to a longer term to bring down the payments. At which point I was reading over all the original documents I noticed a statement of how late fees were to be added into the principle 10 days after assessed and not paid. This was different from how I had been handling them, so once again I fixed my calculations in my spreadsheet with this new found information. This of course makes the numbers I reported on my 2007 and 2008 return (and the lost amended 2007 returns) (interest vs principle received on the note) off by a little. I don't know if I should have bothered filing those amendments before, which are apparently lost, but now I'm wondering if I should send the IRS and FTB new 2007 and 2008 amendments which the updated calculations.

What do you think, is it too small a change to worry about and I just forget about sending amendments?

Will they get confused if I send new amendments and then if somehow they manage to receive the amendments I sent last year?

I am just foolishly raising my chances of an audit?

Thank you in advance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

Last year April 14th, '09 I mailed my 2008 Federal and CA return (due to income from an installment sale of vacant land in CA, I'm a NV resident) along with my 2007 Amended Federal and CA return. I mailed it from a USPS located inside a convenient store (bad idea) as it was the only place open at the time. Due to the incompetent worker there who made all sorts of mistakes in sending my returns, the fed took 1 month to reach the IRS, the CA was returned, and the 2 amended returns were lost completely. The amendments were pretty minor, I just realized I made a small mistake on how I calculated the interest on the installment sale. So it didn't really change my total income just the amount going to capital gains vs interest income. The result was I owed the Fed $10 and CA $3 so I sent them checks, which were never cashed, that's how I know they never received the amendments, that and I called them several times and asked. After I mailed the all those returns the person paying me in that installment sale was having trouble paying me, so I modified the note to a longer term to bring down the payments. At which point I was reading over all the original documents I noticed a statement of how late fees were to be added into the principle 10 days after assessed and not paid. This was different from how I had been handling them, so once again I fixed my calculations in my spreadsheet with this new found information. This of course makes the numbers I reported on my 2007 and 2008 return (and the lost amended 2007 returns) (interest vs principle received on the note) off by a little. I don't know if I should have bothered filing those amendments before, which are apparently lost, but now I'm wondering if I should send the IRS and FTB new 2007 and 2008 amendments which the updated calculations.

What do you think, is it too small a change to worry about and I just forget about sending amendments?

Will they get confused if I send new amendments and then if somehow they manage to receive the amendments I sent last year?

I am just foolishly raising my chances of an audit?

Thank you in advance.
If the changes are as small as the previous changes you mentioned, its probably not worth sending amendments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">