• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$.10/mile gas reimbursement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uwbadger

I'm a carpenter who must drive my own vehicle for work. My company only reimburses me $0.10/mile for job-related driving. I've been told that there are mandatory minimums set in place which are considerable higher than this. I live and work in Minnesota, but the company is based out of Kansas City, MO.

Also, upon being hired they made me sign a form saying that if I quit before having worked there for 6 mos. I would be responsible for paying them back my wages for the initial training period of 21 days. This could be legit being that I signed my name to it, but it still seems unreasonable.

Any enlightenment regarding these issues would be appreciated.

pattytx

There is no federal law, nor a law in any state, that mandates that the employer reimburse an employee for business expenses at all. $.10 a mile stinks, but it's not illegal.

Regarding your training, I doubt very seriously that they could do this. Had it been a training school for which YOU had paid "tuition", it might be possible. But if you were an employee, then sent for training, and your wages were paid for that period, it is VERY unlikely they could take it back from your final pay, no matter what the agreement says, as that clause in the agreement would be a violation of wage and hour law.

Beth3

Patty, FYI - I believe California has a statute that requires employers to reimburse employees for business expenses but that's the only State that does.

pattytx

ah, Beth, I thought that only addressed the timing of reimbursement, not whether reimbursement needs to be made at all. Leave it to our friends on the left coast! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">