• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 year old with a pellet gun outside non display for safety

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

Your zip code is Far Rockaway, Queens, NYC. In NYC it's illegal for anyone to possess an air pistol unless one obtains a firearm license from the local police department.

In other parts of NY State a license is generally not required (there may be local exceptions) but an air pistol cannot be possessed by anyone under 16.

So, the answer to your question is yes, it's illegal for a child (under 16) to carry any kind of air pistol.

If you want to verify what I'm telling you, feel free to look up NY's myriad of local and state firearms laws.

TigerD

Wow. My 10-year-old has a full on shooting gallery set up in the back yard. He'd plink for hours if we let him. Last time we went to the range, he burned through almost 500 rounds of .22. Big difference between rural Missouri and NYC.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state?NY Zipcode 11691

Is it illegal for a child to carry a non display air pistol
You chose a really inappropriate week to post this.

NYPD is in mourning the loss of Detective "Smiles" Simonsen. His funeral was 2 days ago. He died because some dolt pulled out an air pistol and pretended to fire at cops.

https://qns.com/story/2019/02/14/alleged-richmond-hill-robber-fired-this-fake-gun-at-cops-which-triggered-deadly-friendly-fire-nypd/

adjusterjack

NYPD is in mourning the loss of Detective "Smiles" Simonsen. His funeral was 2 days ago. He died because some dolt pulled out an air pistol and pretended to fire at cops.
No. He died because:

Seven officers fired 42 shots,
They had the guy surrounded and were shooting at each other.

I have nothing but respect for the risks cops take and no sympathy for criminals but those cops need some remedial tactical training on how to take down an armed suspect without killing each other.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...those cops need some remedial tactical training on how to take down an armed suspect without killing each other.
They get that and then some, but sometimes lessons get lost in the heat of the moment. Plus the detective wasn't wearing body armor because he shouldn't have been responding to things like this to begin with, but he heard it over the radio and did respond. That's the kind of guy he was.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No. He died because:

They had the guy surrounded and were shooting at each other.

I have nothing but respect for the risks cops take and no sympathy for criminals but those cops need some remedial tactical training on how to take down an armed suspect without killing each other.
Legally the "armed" robber with the air pistol has been charged with murder.

Given his criminal record, he was well aware of what could happen when he pretended to shoot.

I do not live in NYC, but I know that NYC laws are more restrictive than less urban areas. Any time a tragedy like this occurs, local news recaps what local laws are, I'm sure. So OP's ignorance of the restrictions baffles me.

adjusterjack

Carrying a concealed firearm - even an imitation firearm - is a good way to get dead,
I think it would be more accurate to say:

Illegally carrying a concealed firearm - even an imitation firearm - and committing a crime with it is a good way to get dead.

Yes, the illegal carrying is a crime, but if one is not foolish enough to expose the firearm he lives to see another day.

Any parent that would allow their child to sport a concealed weapon of any kind should be flogged!
True dat. There are some states that hold a parent strictly liable for any firearm incident involving a child. I seem to recall Florida is one. Don't know about California or others.

CdwJava

I think it would be more accurate to say:

Illegally carrying a concealed firearm - even an imitation firearm - and committing a crime with it is a good way to get dead.

Yes, the illegal carrying is a crime, but if one is not foolish enough to expose the firearm he lives to see another day.
Though, he minimizes accidental discovery and unfortunate and tragic consequences by not carrying it in such a manner in the first place. It would not be the first time that a child or adult made a stupid move while handling an imitation firearm leading to tragic consequences. Even LEGALLY carrying it on your person can lead to tragedy ... and, since carrying a toy gun concealed is generally not a crime in and of itself ....

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And.... since it's for "safety" (I must assume that really means "protection"), it's not out of the realm of likely said 10yo will make sure others know he has it on his person. And he's going to get hurt. At best.

adjusterjack

Even LEGALLY carrying it on your person can lead to tragedy
Or, even more likely, it can lead to saving one's own life or the life of another.

The following article from 2008 is supported by the studies listed in the footnotes:

https://gunowners.org/sk0802htm/
This later article (2013) discusses a report from the Center for Disease Control (traditionally pro Gun Control) supporting the earlier conclusions.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cdc-study-use-firearms-self-defense-important-crime-deterrent
That study was ordered by then President Obama.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">