• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1040A instead of 1040NR-EZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lofi

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I was an international student at an Indiana school. I mistakenly filed my federal returns using turbotax which filed my returns online using a 1040A form. This form also included the "American Opportunity Credit" of 1000 USD. As these tax forms were accepted in 2016, I thought of this to be appropriate and filed the same way in 2017. But in 2018, I discovered it was all wrong and I wrongfully got the AOC. Here is what I am doing to fix it:
1. Correctly preparing a 1040NR-EZ for both years.
2. Gathering W2s and tax forms for both years.
3. Preparing 1040X for both years to be attached with the 1040NR-EZs.

My question is: How should I refund the IRS this money? How do I calculate penalty? Should I send this cheque or money order with the amended tax forms?

Thanks!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My question is: How should I refund the IRS this money? How do I calculate penalty? Should I send this cheque or money order with the amended tax forms?
I suggest sending a check for the tax owed with the amended returns. After the IRS processes the returns it will compute any penalty it believes to be due and the interest owed and bill you for it. You may then either dispute the penalties (if you have grounds for that) or send a check for the amount the IRS says is due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">