• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 and head of household

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Waltermitty

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

If my partner (unmarried) received a 1099 for $7k and that is her only income she doesn’t have to file taxes?

If I’m filing as HOH do I have to include her $7k earnings?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

If my partner (unmarried) received a 1099 for $7k and that is her only income she doesn’t have to file taxes?
What kind of 1099 was this? If it was a Form 1099-MISC for work done as an independent contractor then she will have to file a federal income tax return unless after subtracting her business deductions she had less than $400 in net income from the self-employment.

If it was some other kind of 1099 then tell me what that was.

You do not include her income on your return. But at the same time, she won't be your dependent if her income was $7,000. You'd need to have some other dependent to qualify as HOH.

LdiJ

Yes, she need to file a tax return.

No, you do not include her income on your return.

Waltermitty

I did not claim her as a dependent. We have a son who is the dependent

The 1099 was a payout from a housing cooperative that had been converted to a condo

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

The 1099 was a payout from a housing cooperative that had been converted to a condo
Well, this is exactly why I asked the question what the 1099 was for rather than simply assuming it was for work done as an independent contractor (which is what I am guessing LdiJ assumed when she answered the question). If the $7,000 payout from the condo conversion was the only income she had then she is not required to file a federal or Massachusetts income tax return for 2018.

LdiJ

Well, this is exactly why I asked the question what the 1099 was for rather than simply assuming it was for work done as an independent contractor (which is what I am guessing LdiJ assumed when she answered the question). If the $7,000 payout from the condo conversion was the only income she had then she is not required to file a federal or Massachusetts income tax return for 2018.
Yes, my bad, I assumed it was independent contractor pay, subject to self employment tax.

What do you mean by you "did not claim her as a dependent"? You haven't filed your taxes yet so are you talking about your W4?

LdiJ

Not sure what else it could be since there are no dependency exemptions anymore.
While there are no longer any dependency exemptions, there is a $500.00 credit for dependents who are not qualified children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">