• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 inheritance tax question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CLJM

What is the name of your state? Washington
I hope this is the correct forum.
Question, if you please.....My Mother who lives in the State of Washinton has received a 1099 from the closing attorney that sold a home in Pennsylvania that was a part of her inheritance from her parents estate in Pennsylvania; both having passed away respectively in 1982 and 1999. The estate (the 5 children) have been handling the affairs and properties since the parents passing and, decided to sell 1 of the properties----each receiving their share at closing, and now each receiving a 1099 for their share of the proceeds. My question on her behalf is this: ....as this is part of an inheritance, how should this 1099 be treated on her 2006 tax return ? I might add she is 79 and receives social security though she does subsitute teach a few days a month for her enjoyment. The 1099 was, I believe for about $10,000.00.
Thank you kindly.

Dandy Don

She can best get this question answered by consulting with a local CPA or tax accountant, but you also should be posting this question on the tax law message board and deleting it from the wills/trust message board (where it really does not belong).

CLJM

Dandy Don said:
She can best get this question answered by consulting with a local CPA or tax accountant, but you also should be posting this question on the tax law message board and deleting it from the wills/trust message board (where it really does not belong).
Thank you for your answer Don...I just thought it would be a rather simple question to ask here as you all have been quite helpful from time to time to my inquiries.
I did originally post on the "Tax" forum but, then read that I should post it on the Wills---Estate Post board. My apologies if incorrect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">