• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-MISC question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
My wife is a medical resident who received a $800 "travel grant/award" to pay her expenses to a national meeting (as a means to recruit her to a specific specialty). She did not provide any services, serve as an employee, etc. Simply attended a scientific meeting.

We've just received a 1099-MISC form in the mail with $800 as nonemployee compensation. She does not have a business; as I said, this was called a "travel grant" by the society that paid her way.

How do I deal with this? I'd like to consider it a scholarship/grant, but am unsure.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential