• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

11 year old dept collection in PA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leonz13

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I used to lease a small restaurant that I returned back to the owner back in 2001.
The accountant that I was using to do the payroll and other tax forms just have a lawyer to send me a letter that they taking me to the court to collect an invoice dated back in 12/09/2008 for $265.00

Do they have the right to do so? My state limitation (PA) is 4 years as far as I read here. Also I do not remember to own any money to him as he was getting paid cash most of the time, maybe 7-8 with check in the 2 yeas period I use his services.

Any advice?
Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I were in that situation, I would probably just ignore the letter for the time being. Alternatively, I might respond to the attorney stating that, 1: I don't believe that I failed to pay anything that was due, and 2: the statute of limitations for a debt such as this expired long ago and any attempt to sue would be met by a request for sanctions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">