• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

12 Year old Bad Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ALITY

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was contacted today by an investigator in Indiana that said he was trying to collect on two checks that I wrote on a closed account from 12/92. He faxed me copies of both checks and it said "refer to maker" on the front of them. He told me I needed to pay both checks, $25.00 overdraft charges the store received and $80 for processing charges. This store went bankrupt in 1998 I believe. First of all, how do I know he is legitimate and will pay the store for the amounts and can he charge $80 for processing charges. He told me this was a fraud case and if I didn't send him a money order or EBTfor the full amount that he would file this in court to make sure that I do not get another bank account. He said nothing could be done criminally and that if I went to court I would pay four times that amount plus court costs. I will pay the store the amount that I owe but don't feel he is going to do that. This is the first that I knew about the debt and have lived in this location for ten years so it isn't that hard to locate me. All I have is the copies of the checks and a fax cover sheet. He mentioned that the statute of limitations on bankrupt companies recovering these types of things has not expired. I moved suddenly and closed the account without seeing if the checks had cleared. He also told me that the account was closed but that is not what the check copies state. I didn't get contacted from the bank at all that I remember. Also, should I contact an attorney to call him and deal with him rather than me. He makes me feel uncomfortable. Thanks to all for your assistance.

bigun

He's as full of **** as a Christmas turkey.
The SOL ran long ago on collecting this check. Send a letter {CRRR} saying you've no recollection of the account and in any event, the SOL has expired and to never contact you about this matter again. Pull your credit reports and be sure it's not listed. If it is, that's reaging and the collection agency will owe you money.

A

ALITY

12 Year Old Bad Check

The more I read the more I think he is full of s***. The part that got me was that he said he had the checks and faxed them to me. He also said since the store went bankrupt (Venture) that they had 10 years to collect anything due them. I have a call in to an attorney just to tell him the right things when he calls again, which I am sure he will. He is giving me 48 hours. (HA)

A

ALITY

contacted him

I called the investigator as I said I would after receiving the checks. I told him I wanted things in writing and where the moeny was going to and what the steps would be if I didn't pay, etc. He basically told me that he owned the checks and that he was not a collection agency but a Financial Fraud Investigator (whatever that is) and told me that he was giving me a courtesy call. He will not send my anything in writing. I asked him about the service charges and processing fees and he said he could collect the $25 charges for the checks because all banks do that and the $40 each was his fee and he could charge that too. I told him I wanted that all in writing and he said he wouldn't do that and I should pay him based on him having copies of the checks (11-1/2 years ago). I said that my attorney was asking for this in writing and he said to have her call him. I don't understand what he is trying to do. My husband said that he may have bought out old credit due from the bankrupt Venture stores at a discounted rate and that he was collecting it for himself. Has anyone heard of this and what next steps are. My 48 hours are up tomorrow at 5:00. Thanks

bigun

Why in God's name are you wasting any time with this thing? Write the letter I suggested and quit talking on the phone.

A

ALITY

CRRR-bigun

What is this letter you are talking about? Is it a standard letter of some kind or should I just write him to say to stop calling me and that I don't what he is talking about.

bigun

No need for any sort of long flowery message. This is all you need.

Send a letter {CRRR} saying you've no recollection of the account and in any event, the SOL has expired and to never contact you about this matter again.

smorr

While your "48 hours" has probably already long gone - you had already said too much to this guy. If the jerk won't give it up in writing then he's lying, plain and simple. Yes, I believe what your husband said - and I'm sure it can be attempted (note: attempted). Anyone who's trying to collect on checks that old......c'mon.

Hasn't he heard about the statute of limitations? I'd contact an attorney and have THEM write him a nice letter!

Ladynred

I wouldn't be nice ! Send this so-called 'investigator' the cease and desist letter Bigun mentioned. You bascially tell them to take a flying leap at a rolling donut. They cannot legally do squat !!

BTW, I've had 2 collection agency stooges call themselves 'investigators' - I guess they think it sounds more intimidating that way.

Anway, its almost the end of the month, collectors have to make quota or they don't get those bonuses so they put the squeeze on to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">