• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

123456a

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

optsgirl

What is the name of your state? NY

My husband and I are separated (not legally). He has been paying me $500 per month since we had our son March 27th.
My divorce is almost final.

My question is: When we go to court for child support, will I have to pay this back, will I get less money awarded per month since he was paying. He does have a job now.

I think that since we are still married (there is no child support). He is doing the right thing by helping us out.

BTW - We both agreed that he would give me $500 per month until we go to court.

karma1

hon...

post a topic not a bunch of numbers-you'll get more responses...
research the laws in your state-
look up attorneys on your phone book-family law-ones that offer free first consults...they should be able to help.

CMSC

optsgirl said:
What is the name of your state? NY

My husband and I are separated (not legally). He has been paying me $500 per month since we had our son March 27th.
My divorce is almost final.

My question is: When we go to court for child support, will I have to pay this back, will I get less money awarded per month since he was paying. He does have a job now.

I think that since we are still married (there is no child support). He is doing the right thing by helping us out.

BTW - We both agreed that he would give me $500 per month until we go to court.
Okay, first of all the money he is currently paying will not be looked upon as support UNLESS you agree that he has been paying this whole time and he can show proof he has been paying. I am not sure if he will owe support from the time the child is born or not since you were married at the time.
Yes he is doing the right thing. Just curious though, he said he has a job now, how was he paying $500 a month without a job?
You won't have to pay back the money he is giving you. The amount of support he is ordered to pay will all depend upon what type of custody arrangment is made and what is income is etc. Go to www.supportguidlines.com to see what the guidlines for your state are. You can get a good idea of what to expect.
Now there is one thing, if you are getting a divorce he can agree in the decree to pay $500 a month in child support, I believe, without going to court for a support order...it would be ordered in the divorce decree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">