• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

13 yr old home alone...legal? CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

modernsign

What is the name of your state? ca
Hi... is it legal to leave a 13 yr old home alone two nights a week while mother is "staying w/ friends" 200 miles away?
Thanks in advance for your response!

F

frusteratedgf

modernsign said:
What is the name of your state? ca
Hi... is it legal to leave a 13 yr old home alone two nights a week while mother is "staying w/ friends" 200 miles away?
Thanks in advance for your response!
In Illinois the legal age to be left alone is 12 for a couple of hours...does she stay gone all night? Why don't you call the local police dept to find out the legal age in ur state...the would definitely know

M

modernsign

Thanks Frustatedgf...We didn't think of that

Hi frustratedgf,
We didn't think of calling the police yet, I guess we're scared of what they might do. But then again we're scared of what someone who breaks in to their house while he's alone ,will do (which is a horrifying idea!!)This is the last straw realizinghat the mother is not "fit' and it's very sad, but it's time to get full custody. We never wanted it to be "us' or "her" but it looks like it gotta be us , for his safety. thanks for your concern and your idea...keep your fingers crossed that we never have to involve the police!

M

modernsign

Oh, ps. yes... alone..all nite...two nights a week!!!

enough said!

ellencee

suggestion for an easy solution--tell the child to pick up the phone about 1 AM and call the police and tell the police he or she is afraid and is all alone with no parents and no one to call for help. Let the police take it from there.

F

frusteratedgf

ellencee said:
suggestion for an easy solution--tell the child to pick up the phone about 1 AM and call the police and tell the police he or she is afraid and is all alone with no parents and no one to call for help. Let the police take it from there.
It is against the law for anyone under the age of 16 to stay by themselves overnight. I would definitely call the cops...thats dangerous and irresponible of the mother

CMSC

frusteratedgf said:

It is against the law for anyone under the age of 16 to stay by themselves overnight. I would definitely call the cops...thats dangerous and irresponible of the mother
Can you please site the law that you got that from?

imxoz

I know you can contact your Dept. of Human Services ( that's what they call it in Oklahoma) and child welfare dept can tell you your answer. Then you can go from there. Doubt if they can be left that long. Ive seen the form but can't seem to find it.

F

frusteratedgf

imxoz said:
I know you can contact your Dept. of Human Services ( that's what they call it in Oklahoma) and child welfare dept can tell you your answer. Then you can go from there. Doubt if they can be left that long. Ive seen the form but can't seem to find it.
When I was in hs I did a paper on child abuse and one of the books (i dont know which one...it was so long ago) said that a person must be 12 to stay home alone...14 to babysit...and 16 to stay overnight by themselves...otherwise it is neglect

D

Discharge

So let me get is straight, when you were in high school you did a 'paper'...hhmmm

Does that qualify you to come onto this forum with your completely incompetent 'advice' in legal matters?

And I suppose you learned all of your fantastic grammar skills in that same high school, eh?

Whyte Noise

I posted this on modernsign's other thread, but I'll post it here too...

"This is from the Santa Clara County's Department of Children's Services website:

"There is no law which states the age when children can be left alone, nor is there any law which specifies a minimum age for a caretaker. Good judgment on the part of the parents is expected. The ages, number of children's maturity, the length of time in care, cultural factors and other characteristics would be considered."

The web address is :
http://claraweb.co.santa-clara.ca.us/ssa/dfcs/childabuse/faq.html "

CMSC

frusteratedgf said:

When I was in hs I did a paper on child abuse and one of the books (i dont know which one...it was so long ago) said that a person must be 12 to stay home alone...14 to babysit...and 16 to stay overnight by themselves...otherwise it is neglect
When I was in High school I did a paper on drug addicts in the rock industry and i quoted a magazine as saying Bob Dylan had died...when in fact he isnt dead! Sounds like he is dead but that is a different forum!:D

F

frusteratedgf

Discharge said:
So let me get is straight, when you were in high school you did a 'paper'...hhmmm

Does that qualify you to come onto this forum with your completely incompetent 'advice' in legal matters?

And I suppose you learned all of your fantastic grammar skills in that same high school, eh?
hey discharge, I said that was the law in Illinois...if you don't believe me why dont you call the Illinois State Police and ask them...my uncle is also a cop and he said the same thing...this is a adive forum...i offered advice...what kind of advice did you offer this guy?

CMSC

frusteratedgf said:

hey discharge, I said that was the law in Illinois...if you don't believe me why dont you call the Illinois State Police and ask them...my uncle is also a cop and he said the same thing...this is a adive forum...i offered advice...what kind of advice did you offer this guy?
Alright, I called the Illinois department of Health and Human Services and they say "it is not recommended that a child under 14 to stay at home by themselves. However, it is not illegal if they are over 12."

Yes this is an advice forum BUT when you give advice about a law and your interpretation of it some people think that it is the law in their state, whether or not you tell them which state the law is in.

We are still waiting for you to site the actual law (statute) for your statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">