• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

13yr old bro and friend stole my car! sue friend for half??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

holenone

I live in California, and the other night my 13yr old brother and his 15 year old friend decided that they would "barrow" my car and destroyed it in a wreck. Anyways, my question is this, can I sue friend of my brother for half of the total value of the car, I've already taken some of my brothers items such as a dirt bike and golf clubs and sold them to pay for his half(1500$). I need an awnser asap, so please someone help me. I'm a college student and need a new car asap, school starts the end of this month and i MUST have a car!!!!! so please any advice is greatly appreciated

thank you

racer72

You cannot sue juveniles, only adults. You would have to sue the kids parents. Your biggest problem would be proving the kid was 50% at fault. Plus also consider. It will take anywhere from 3 months to a year before your case is heard. If you win, you still have to collect, the court does not do that for you. You should seek a free consultation with a local attorney to see what your best options are. You may even consider calling the kid's parents and tell them Junior owes you some money and how do they plan on paying it. Also mentioning a potential lawsuit and how much money they could save may have them reaching for the checkbook.

stephenk

have you reported the accident to your insurance company? Your carrier can resolve the car repair or replacement issue quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">