• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 year year old son (24 now)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janethop

My son applied for a credit card when he was 14, and Capital One gave him one a with a 200.00 credit limit. They added all kinds of fees , and the balance now is $2,060,00.

Capital One filed with small claims court for the full balance. We were never knew, about having a court hearing, although we have been at the same address for almost 23 years an d have had the same telephone number for 20 years, and since we didn't know, we weren't there and the judge then the judge ruled in their favor for the full balance. What can we do?

quincy

My son applied for a credit card when he was 14, and Capital One gave him one a with a 200.00 credit limit. They added all kinds of fees , and the balance now is $2,060,00.

Capital One filed with small claims court for the full balance. We were never knew, about having a court hearing, although we have been at the same address for almost 23 years an d have had the same telephone number for 20 years, and since we didn't know, we weren't there and the judge then the judge ruled in their favor for the full balance. What can we do?
To what address were the Capital One bills sent if not to your home address?

Did your son lie about his age when he applied for the card?

What did he purchase? And when?

Because your son is an adult, he will need to handle this debt himself.

(your question has nothing to do with medical malpractice)

adjusterjack

(Quincy, you forgot your usual question about the state.)

So I'll ask it now. Janet, what state are you located in?

In many states a minor can disavow his contracts (some exceptions) up until his majority (18) and in some states up to a year or two after that.

I suspect, however, at the age of 24, it's probably too late for him to disavow the debt.

There is no "we" here. This is for your son to work out on his own.

Janethop

To what address were the Capital One bills sent if not to your home address?

Did your son lie about his age when he applied for the card?

What did he purchase? And when?

Because your son is an adult, he will need to handle this debt himself.

(your question has nothing to do with medical malpractice)
----------------------------------------------------

My son was 14 when he opened the account.
We don't have a clue what he spent on.
I didn't put in that forum, the account people did.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
----------------------------------------------------

My son was 14 when he opened the account.
We don't have a clue what he spent on.
He is an adult now, and has been an adult for 6 years.
I didn't put in that forum, the account people did.
How odd. Everyone else goes to the forum they're interested in and "adds" a new thread.

You still haven't told us what state that this is in.

By the way, that is an odd # you cited for the amount owed.

Janethop

I am in Indiana. What is "odd?? the I the quotes I gave.? They were the same, Exact. There were no embellishments, I gave you the exact amounts .they are trying to sue my son for.

mjpayne

I am in Indiana. What is "odd?? the I the quotes I gave.? They were the same, Exact. There were no embellishments, I gave you the exact amounts .they are trying to sue my son for.
Were you or someone else a cosigner on the credit card? I didn't even know you could get one (except as an authorized user on an adult's card) until 18.

adjusterjack

Were you or someone else a cosigner on the credit card? I didn't even know you could get one (except as an authorized user on an adult's card) until 18.
Check out this article about Capital One approving credit cards for minors.

https://www.greedyrates.ca/blog/capital-one-mistakenly-pre-approves-minors-for-credit-cards-in-quebec/

Capital One also offers teen checking accounts with debit cards. I wonder if that's what the kid got and overdrew the account.

https://www.capitalone.com/bank/checking-accounts/teen-checking-account/

mjpayne

Check out this article about Capital One approving credit cards for minors.

https://www.greedyrates.ca/blog/capital-one-mistakenly-pre-approves-minors-for-credit-cards-in-quebec/

Capital One also offers teen checking accounts with debit cards. I wonder if that's what the kid got and overdrew the account.

https://www.capitalone.com/bank/checking-accounts/teen-checking-account/
Looks like it needs a cosigner.
ELIGIBLE CUSTOMERS
- MONEY is available to United States citizens or lawful permanent residents with a U.S. physical address or with military addresses (APO or FPO). Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) are acceptable for account opening in certain Branches. MONEY must have two owners, the "Adult" who must be at least 18 years old and the "Young Adult". The “Adult” must be the parent or legal guardian of the “Young Adult”. We may restrict the Young Adult's access to some features of MONEY. The Adult on the account must have either (i) an existing, active deposit account with Capital One 360 that's in good standing; or (ii) a personal (non-business) checking account at another U.S. chartered bank that can and will be linked to your MONEY (the "Linked Account").

quincy

Thank you for answering our questions, Janethop.

You said in your first post that there was a hearing and "the judge ruled in [Capital One's] favor" but you later say "they are trying to sue my son."

It appears that your son has already been successfully sued and Capital One now a judgment against him.

Your son will find himself satisfying this debt in ways less pleasant than small monthly payments (e.g., bank account freeze, wage garnishment).

Does your husband and son happen to share a name? Could another adult have co-signed until he turned 18? I am not sure how your son was able to get a Capital One account without a co-signer or lying about his age or perhaps being mistaken for your adult husband but, somehow, he got a Capital One card and apparently made purchases using the account and apparently failed to make payments.

If your son no longer resides with you, it is possible he was getting bills sent to his new address and received notice of the court hearing at that address. Your son can check court files on service but, if he does not dispute owing the money, there seems to be little left for him to do but pay.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
...the balance now is $2,060,00.
Did you misplace commas and mean $206,000 (i.e. two hundred thousand)?
Did you mistakenly type a comma rather than a period and mean $2,060.00 (i.e. two thousand)?
Did you omit a zero and mean $2,060,000 (i.e. two million)?

What you typed was NOT "the same, Exact". Perhaps when someone asks you for clarification about what you typed, you should extend the courtesy of rereading what you previously posted. The advice on how to react to a $2K debt is much different than how one might approach 200K or 2 million in debt.

At the age of 14 I,m sure your son would have exceeded the $200 limit within hours and Capital One would have suspended the account when it got into the thousands. At a guess your son was sent letters by Capital One, which he possibly intercepted before you saw them, these letters would have culminated in "Pay up or else" and your son chose the "Or else" option by ignoring those letters. The court would have sent the summons to your son but you didn't say if your son attended the court hearing.
As for what you can do is simple, tell your son to pay his debt.

Janethop

Oh, my goodness... Thank-you for the replies--- Ok. The account limit was 250.00 The balance now is $2,060.00 . I think the balance is from "fees" and whatever else they decide to tack on. I think I am the culprit as far as the missing notices--- When he would get mail, I tossed it out thinking it was "advertisement" wanting him to open account, so I just threw it in the trash. We didn't get anything from the courts until a few days ago, letting us know we missed the hearing, and they ruled in favor of Capital One.

Somewhere along the line-- I think I remember someone telling me that he was a minor when he opened the account, therefore it was invalid.
He DID lie about his age. Thanks again!!!!!

quincy

Oh, my goodness... Thank-you for the replies--- Ok. The account limit was 250.00 The balance now is $2,060.00 . I think the balance is from "fees" and whatever else they decide to tack on. I think I am the culprit as far as the missing notices--- When he would get mail, I tossed it out thinking it was "advertisement" wanting him to open account, so I just threw it in the trash. We didn't get anything from the courts until a few days ago, letting us know we missed the hearing, and they ruled in favor of Capital One.

Somewhere along the line-- I think I remember someone telling me that he was a minor when he opened the account, therefore it was invalid.
He DID lie about his age. Thanks again!!!!!
I think if your son never used the account, the balance probably would not be what it is. Most unused accounts are simply closed. But your son can check the court files.

Thank you for returning with an update and more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">