• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 year old debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

donald l smith

What is the name of your state? Hi I live in pensacola florida and 15 years ago had a car taken back for moving out of state, and now just getting calls and letter from an acquisition and management company that they have purchased the account from another company, and that I owe 2000.00 dollar plus 5735.90 in interest, and this is the first time I have ever received anything in 15 years on the subject, and have been back in pensacola the last 14 years.

bigun

According to www.creditinfocenter.com the SOL passed on this long ago. I'd suggest you get a copy of your credit report from all 3 CRA's to see if this has placed on your reports. If not, save the reports for just in case and just ignore the letter. Should they call, just send a Cease & Desist letter teling them to never contact you again.

Ladynred

Gee.. sounds like another CAMCO victim !

If you have absolute proof that the SOL has expired, then send them a Cease and Desist as Bigun suggested. When you tell them never to contact you again, make sure you add that the debt is time-barred.

FYI - the SOL in FL is 4 years, 5 for a written contract.. so this is WAY beyond the SOL.

You can find and excellent C&D with time-barred verbage in it here:

http://community-2.webtv.net/Y-chat/WhyChatsCredit/#caval1

CAMCO is scum and their specialty is scaring and harrasing people into paying debts they KNOW are past the SOL and that they KNOW they cannot legally sue to collect for. However, that isn't stopping them. They are winning default judgments against people who don't have a clue they don't have to pay and its quite possible that they are filing suits using OLD addresses, usually in another state from where their victim lives currently. Since the person is never served, they are getting default judgments.. which is pure BS.

If they re-age the debt by placing it on your credit report, you have them in a major violation of the FDCPA and FCRA and can sue them for it.

You might be interested in the very numerous threads on these dirtbags over at www.cardreport.com discussion area. Last month they were a major topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">