• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 yr separation cant afford divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juliefearnow

What is the name of your state? texas
i have been separated for 15 years. child support finally ordered 5 years ago but he did not begin to comply till 3 months ago. i am disabled on ssi and have no money to pay for a divorce- it would be uncontested i have custodyand i dont want anything but to make it legal. i dont even know where or how to contact him as he is a truck driver now-may be 6 months before he decides to call the kids or drop in. was several years since last visit. what type of forms would i need if custody is already set and child support ordered? separation of property occurred 15 years ago as far as we are concerned. can i do this without a lawyer??? thanks for any help or advice on what step to take first

VeronicaGia

You can likely go to your local courthouse and get the paperwork and see if they can help you fill it out. But he still has to be served somehow.

H

hjallge

You can go to any library and there is a book called "Divorce in Texas." It has all of the information that you will need and all of the forms. It explained everything to me. After you type the papers, get him to sign them, then pay $10 to file at your local courthouse. If for some reason he won't sign the papers, it is $100 to have the constable serve him. If he agrees and signs, then your divorce will only cost you the $10 filing fee. It worked for me.

J

juliefearnow

thank you

omg 10 dollars sounds too good to be true and this is with children involved or because they have been dealt with separately by the attorney general? i thank you for your advice and will head for the library

H

hjallge

The book has all of the child support guidlines and everything in there. In the state of TX, all CS goes through the attorney general. After you get your final divorce papers signed by the judge, take them to the attorney general. If you specify in the papers that you want the money to come stright out of his check, you will need to also type up an "Employer's Enforcement order to withhold from earnings." There should be a local AG in your area that can help you out with everything after you have your decree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">