• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 looking for mississippi parental consent laws on marriage to older boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brianna Celene

What is the name of your state? Alabama. If I understood correctly, I read that the legal age without parental consent in Mississippi was 17 for a male & 15 for a female. I also read a post of a 15 year old young lady ask a question somewhere along the lines of: "Where can I legally get married at my age?" (or somethig similar). I need to know if your parent &/or gaurdian
needs to sign a form or other in order for me to become married. Plus I'm curious as to if a witness needs to be present.

-Illinois Dad don't even touch this. We aren't related. :p

-confused & heartbroken-n-bama
:confused:

I'm not a Dad, but I am in Illinois....

At sixteen, there must be a very good reason you are getting married...like a baby on the way?

In case you missed it, that was sarcasm. At 16, there is NO reason to get married, at least not in this country. Ask every female on this board if she was capable of making this big of a decision at 16, and the answer will be unanimous.

At 16, I thought I knew what I wanted out of life. At 16, I was a high school graduate. At 16, I was sure I had all the answers I would ever need. At 16, I was incapable of such certainty, but, because I was 16, I was incapable of understanding how much I, and life, would change. I was not considering marriage, I was deciding on a college major.

There are reasons 16 year olds can't vote, go to war, drink alcohol, or even drive a car unsupervised in many states. You are simply not yet equipped with sufficient life experiences to make such permanent, life altering decisions for yourself. This is not to criticize you personally in any way. In deed, you are literate and obviously intelligent. But, you are still only 16 years old. And perhaps getting out of your current home and/or family would be the best thing for you. But this is not the way to do that. If your home life really is that bad, then on top of being only 16, you are probably emotionally scarred and even MORE incapable of making this decision.

If nothing else makes you think, then think on this. Remember who you were, how you thought, what you believed to be true, right and real at 12. Think how much you have changed in the past 4 years. Then tell us all why you are so certain you wont change that much again or even more in the next 4 years.

No matter what is going on, no matter what your reasons, this 'answer' is wrong at this point in your life. I wish you good luck with whatever you are facing, and if you post with more information, there will be plenty of people here to respond with suggestions and directions to go to for help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">