• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UTfalcon

Texas.. Hello everyone. I am 17 years old in Texas. I was wondering if i could move out right now. I know it would be against my parents wishes so no need to ask. I would be moving in with my long term boyfriend. I graduated high school a year early and I am a sophomore in college already. My parents do not pay for my school, I have scholarships and grants. I have a job lined up IF I am able to move it since my parents will not allow me to work. There was a report filed against my mother for abuse but I never put it in motion. Would the cops try to bring me back home if I left? My boyfriend is 19. Please let me know! Oh and i turn 18 in August.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Texas.. Hello everyone. I am 17 years old in Texas. I was wondering if i could move out right now. I know it would be against my parents wishes so no need to ask. I would be moving in with my long term boyfriend. I graduated high school a year early and I am a sophomore in college already. My parents do not pay for my school, I have scholarships and grants. I have a job lined up IF I am able to move it since my parents will not allow me to work. There was a report filed against my mother for abuse but I never put it in motion. Would the cops try to bring me back home if I left? My boyfriend is 19. Please let me know! Oh and i turn 18 in August.
Then wait until you turn 18, tell Mom and Dad that you know everything you need to know and move it on out. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Texas, often (not always) the cops are reluctant to bring home a 17 year old if they are in a safe place and their parents know where they are.

However, nothing in Texas law would prohibit your parents from dragging you back home themselves. The age at which you can move out and have there be NO chance of being forced to return home is 18. This remains true regardless of where you are in school or how many jobs you have.

Just Blue

Wait the 9 months for the move...Save YOURSELF the issues.

Good Luck and stay in school. Even IF the BF doesn't work out.

LdiJ

How do you plan to qualify for grants/loans if you need mommy and daddy's help for that?
A 17 year old who is a sophomore in college most likely has a full ride with merit scholarships. No need for mommy and daddy's help with that.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
A 17 year old who is a sophomore in college most likely has a full ride with merit scholarships. No need for mommy and daddy's help with that.
I know at my University, most scholarships and grants require a FAFSA to have been filed. :cool:

UTfalcon

I know at my University, most scholarships and grants require a FAFSA to have been filed. :cool:
Well, due to my high grades I kept my freshman grant given to me when I was a freshman in college. So no need for mommy and daddy's help! But thank you :roll eyes: OH and no FAFSA required!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Well, due to my high grades I kept my freshman grant given to me when I was a freshman in college. So no need for mommy and daddy's help! But thank you :roll eyes: OH and no FAFSA required!
Well aren't you just a speshul snowflake. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">