• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 y/o dating 22 y/o Indiana Law help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kendrox

Please help me clear a few concerns that myself and my boyfriend have. I am a 17 year old female who is perusing a relationship with a 22 year old male. I live in the state of Indiana and don't fully know what risks I am putting him in. Is there a law against us having sexual contact? I understand that the age of consent in Indiana is 16, but I'm not sure if there is still a risk or not. I don't want him to go to jail and understand I should wait until I am 18, but we have been dating for sometime and if there is no legal stance as to why we would need to wait I don't see the reason to. I have had sexual partners before, but none that matter as much as this. Please help me to better understand what the law says about our relationship in the state of Indiana.

Kendrox

Part of maturity is patience.

...right now.
I am not here for opinions or for judgement, but for law advice as the thread would suggest this forum is to be used for, so please kindly to yourself and others following please stick to a formal understanding that if it does not pertain to legal advice don't reply.

LdiJ

I am not here for opinions or for judgement, but for law advice as the thread would suggest this forum is to be used for, so please kindly to yourself and others following please stick to a formal understanding that if it does not pertain to legal advice don't reply.
I am sorry, but I think that you are going to need to do your research yourself. I am not going to assist a 17 year old with this particular pursuit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Spoken like a petulant child.

Kendrox

Spoken like a petulant child.
I understand your frustrations to my remarks, however this site suggested it was a place to come for legal advice not moral advice. I must have misunderstood what this forums is for. You can say that I am not patient, but we have been dating for 2 years, I understand patience and so does he. The question I posted was whether or not it was illegal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand your frustrations to my remarks, however this site suggested it was a place to come for legal advice not moral advice. I must have misunderstood what this forums is for. You can say that I am not patient, but we have been dating for 2 years, I understand patience and so does he. The question I posted was whether or not it was illegal.
I gave you legal advice.

quincy

Kendrox, Indiana repealed or amended a lot of laws last year and some new laws will be going into effect starting July 1, including ones on sex offenses and minors.

I only skimmed through the contents of a few of the amended and new laws but it appears from what I read that 18 or older is the age you will want to be to ensure your boyfriend does not run afoul of any of the laws, this because of the greater-than-4-year difference in your ages.

Just Blue

I have had sexual partners before, but none that matter as much as this.
So, if I understand you correctly...You, at 15 started dating a 20 year old. You had sexual partners BEFORE dating this ADULT but none mattered very much. Do I understand you correctly? If so I feel very bad for you. Please dig your self-respect out of your purse and put it on. :(;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">