• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 Year Old Facing 5 Counts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son was recently arrested driving under the influence (.085) with another adult male. My son was the driver in a vehicle that does not belong to him and as the Police were searching the car, they found methanphetamines and marijiana, I'm assuming a lot of it, because these the charges brought aganst my son: Possession on a controlled substance with intent for distribution, transportation of a controlled substance, driving under the influence and resisting arrest and no driver's license. He pleaded guilty to all charges UNDER THE CONDITIONS that his case be deferred to 1 year probation. The county where he was arrested put him in Juvenile Hall and during the hearing the Judge opted for the deferrment. However, I do not reside in that county and there was noone to release him to, so my son was transported here to Juvenile Hall in San Diego (where I reside), the Judge here will not honor the recommendation from the first Judge. His public defender here requested that he go back to the other country (for what I really don't know), because I've been told that he will only enter a new plea and come back here to SD for final disposition. I'm confused, what is going to happen? DOes the 1 year probation deferrment go away now and isn't an option? ALso, should we plead NOT GUILTY for the two drug charges? The drugs weren't his, because when I asked where were they when the police found them, he said he didn't know and that all he knew next was that the police stated that he was being charged with possession.
Last edited:

Your public defender can best advise you on what you ought to do. Consider that he is a member of the State Bar of California, whereas you don't know the bar membership status of anyone on this forum. Also consider that he has probably handled more criminal cases in that county than anyone here.

Make sure the public defender is aware of the facts of your case, and take his advice seriously.

Or, alternately, hire a private attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential