• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old wants to move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nightingale1221

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

My 16 year old daughter was advised by "someone" that she can move out at the age of 17 (she will be 17 in 4 months). She has been telling me for a year that she intends to move in with her boyfriend's family when she is old enough, and now that she has heard this news, she thinks she can move even sooner. Her intention is to move when she graduates high school in June of 2006, though she will not be 18 until Dec. of 2006. Can she move legally without my permission?

Happy Trails

nightingale1221 said:

My 16 year old daughter was advised by "someone" that she can move out at the age of 17 (she will be 17 in 4 months). She has been telling me for a year that she intends to move in with her boyfriend's family when she is old enough, and now that she has heard this news, she thinks she can move even sooner. Her intention is to move when she graduates high school in June of 2006, though she will not be 18 until Dec. of 2006. Can she move legally without my permission?
Age of majority in Michigan is 18.

Until that age you are legally responsible for her, unless she is emancipated. The people housing her could get into trouble for harboring a runaway, contributing to the delinquency of a minor.......

Neur0

State is Tennessee.

My question is similar to the above. My boyfriend's parents are moving soon and we're trying to prevent him from going through any means possible. I'd like to do this legaly though. So, could he move out of his house without his parents permission at 17? He'll be 17 in 2 months. Thanks!

T

titansfan

to neur0

your bf cant legally move from his parents untill hes 18. hes under their care and control untill then, im sorry, but he has to stay with his parents, he has no choice. if he leaves without their permission, he can be reported as a ruanway, and you and your parents can be charged with harboring a runaway and/or interference with custody.

Happy Trails

Neur0 said:
State is Tennessee.

My question is similar to the above. My boyfriend's parents are moving soon and we're trying to prevent him from going through any means possible. I'd like to do this legaly though. So, could he move out of his house without his parents permission at 17? He'll be 17 in 2 months. Thanks!
Titansfan is correct. The age of majority in Tennessee is 18, so b/f is the parents legal responsibility. Unless the parents agree that the b/f can stay with other relatives or friends, he goes with the parents. They can file charges on anyone who interferes with their custody.

BTW, Tennessee does not have statutes allowing emancipation of a minor child. He'll have to ride this out until he is an adult.

hpdarkman88

What about me

I am currently 17, that is until Dec. 14th. but my mother and i have been butting heads since seventh grade. she currently has become so tired of me that she wishes to kick me out of the house and force me to move into my dads house. unfortunately my stepmother refuses to let me move into their house. my question is this, what can i do to move out on my own before i turn 18 legally, and what rights do i have until and after she kicks me out.

I live in illinios if that makes any difference.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It would really help if you people started your own threads instead of hijacking existing ones.

S

shutyourface

tell daughter if she leaves you will call police

tell your daughter the minute she walks out the door, you will be on the phone with the police reporting her as a runaway, and she will get her butt hauled home where she belongs.

The Occultist

tell your daughter the minute she walks out the door, you will be on the phone with the police reporting her as a runaway, and she will get her butt hauled home where she belongs.
Pay attention to the dates of the posts. This thread was started over a year ago. I'm pretty sure the OP is long gone. Sorry if darkman confused you with his hijacking.

BobtheLawman23

Age of majority in Michigan is 18.

Until that age you are legally responsible for her, unless she is emancipated. The people housing her could get into trouble for harboring a runaway, contributing to the delinquency of a minor**************
That is false In the state of Michigan, in order to get charged for Harboring a Runaway, the Runaway has the be under the age of 17, in that law it states that a "minor" or a "child" is under the age of 17 therefore at the age of 17, you aren't consider a minor, BUT you aren't an Adult!

Astrolink

That is false In the state of Michigan, in order to get charged for Harboring a Runaway, the Runaway has the be under the age of 17, in that law it states that a "minor" or a "child" is under the age of 17 therefore at the age of 17, you aren't consider a minor, BUT you aren't an Adult!

My goodness...this post is in response to one that is so old that former President Bush was only part way into his second term....

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The thread you have posted to is SEVEN years old. OP's daughter has been adult for several years now.

This forum prefers that one NOT necropost. :cool:

quincy

Actually, that is not right, BobtheLawman. I think you have confused, rather than clarified, the law. ;)

MCL 722.151 states: "No person shall knowingly and willfully aid or abet a child under the age of 17 to violate an order of a juvenile court, or knowingly and willfully conceal or harbor juvenile runaways who have taken flight from the custody of the court, their parents or legal guardian." (bolding added)

A juvenile is defined by the age of majority in a state. In Michigan, that age is 18.

Because there is an Interstate Compact for Juveniles, the "harboring a runaway" law in Michigan defines a juvenile as 18 for a Michigan runaway, and defines any juvenile from another state by the age of majority in that state from which the juvenile ran away.

Now can this poor old thread be put to rest? Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">