• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heybooboo!

What is the name of your state?

Hi, I live in Michigan and received a copy of my report from Equifax which shows 2 items from A Aaron & Associates Client: Chase Manhatton. One shows collection reported 7/01 the other 5/01. Both show dates of last activity 3/99, same balance and account #, but different amounts.
My question is this: I have never had a acct. with them unless my ex had opened it with my name on it. Also, 3/99 was the first I new about this and requested from the CA what it was. I received a bill stating it was from Chase Manhattan with my last name of when I was previously married. The last time it was that name was approx. 18 years ago. Can Chase sell to a CA or the CA update this with a last activity of 3/99 when no payment has ever been paid by me for all these years? Should I dispute this with the CRA or CA. and how?

Sorry for the length of this, any replies would be appreciated.
Boo Boo

Ladynred

If you've never had this account, then you can dispute with the CRA's as 'not mine', they must investigate. If they can't verify then they have to remove the entries.

As for the CA's, I think a validation demand letter is needed here. MAKE them cough up proof.. meaning a contract with your signature on it, that you owe this debt. If they can't validate, then you can send the dispute to the CRA's.

There are many good sample letters for debt validation on www.creditnet.com in the discussion area. You have to register, but its free. There are also samples at www.creditinfocenter.com.
Send it Certified, return receipt requested and keep track of the dates and keep ALL paperwork and your letters.

If you've never had this account, they won't be able to validate. If your ex put you on as an Authorized User (with or without your knowledge) then you are NOT liable for the debts anyway.

H

heybooboo!

Thanks Ladynred,

I'll do a debt validation with the CA, first.

Wouldn't this be outside the SOL's to collect on this, anyway?

Thanks again,
BooBoo

Ladynred

IF it turns out you did have the account, and the last time anything was paid on it was more than 6 years ago, then YES, it is beyond the SOL and they cannot LEGALLY sue you to collect on it.

H

heybooboo!

Thanks Ladynred,

I'll do a debt validation with the CA, first.

Wouldn't this be outside the SOL's to collect on this, anyway?

Thanks again,
BooBoo

H

heybooboo!

Thanks again,

(Sorry about the double posting)

I'll let you know what happens.

BooBoo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">