• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old, still in high school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tksn1966

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana

My daughter turned 18 in June, she still has her last year of high school left.
She moved out over the summer, much to my dismay!, and I want to know, can I "force" her to move back home until she finishes school? Am I still responsible for her until she graduates? or drops out? I just want her to finish school, and though she is enrolled, I don't think she will continue. I know "forcing" her back isn't the answer, but if I can, legally, maybe I can convince her to come back on her own. If she doesn't/won't, do I have to have her emancipated, or am I "off the hook" because she is 18 and moved out?

pojo2

I know not the age one is on their own in Indiana however this might just be why she left home to begin with, the 'tude at home!

>>"off the hook"<<

Sad commentary from a parent.

BelizeBreeze

tksn1966 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana

My daughter turned 18 in June, she still has her last year of high school left.
She moved out over the summer, much to my dismay!, and I want to know, can I "force" her to move back home until she finishes school? Am I still responsible for her until she graduates? or drops out? I just want her to finish school, and though she is enrolled, I don't think she will continue. I know "forcing" her back isn't the answer, but if I can, legally, maybe I can convince her to come back on her own. If she doesn't/won't, do I have to have her emancipated, or am I "off the hook" because she is 18 and moved out?
She is legally an adult. What the school does is up to them. But as to forcing her back or being responsible for her, the answers to both are no.

tksn1966

pojo2 said:
I know not the age one is on their own in Indiana however this might just be why she left home to begin with, the 'tude at home!

>>"off the hook"<<

Sad commentary from a parent.
You are taking a statement, and trying to make it fit your 'tude! I'm talking about being "off the hook", as far as going to jail because she isn't in school, I am legally responsible for her, RIGHT?????? You know nothing about why she left, I didn't ask you to psychoanalize my problem, just let me know what my legal responsibilities are. I'm trying to save her from herself, not listen to your psychobabble about why she may have left, YOU, are SAD, for youre attitude when trying to help someone, why not answer the questions asked, IF YOU CAN, and leave the rest alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BelizeBreeze

tksn1966 said:
You are taking a statement, and trying to make it fit your 'tude! I'm talking about being "off the hook", as far as going to jail because she isn't in school, I am legally responsible for her, RIGHT?????? You know nothing about why she left, I didn't ask you to psychoanalize my problem, just let me know what my legal responsibilities are. I'm trying to save her from herself, not listen to your psychobabble about why she may have left, YOU, are SAD, for youre attitude when trying to help someone, why not answer the questions asked, IF YOU CAN, and leave the rest alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have your answer. The rest is irrelevant.

CdwJava

In Indiana, the age of majority (i.e. adulthood) is 18. Compulsory education is from age 7 or enrolllment in school until 18 (see section IC 20-8.1-3-17).

You are not on the hook.

Sadly, she is simply torpedoing herself if she does not go back to school. You can't be held to account for it.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">