• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr old, ohio, drinking, not drunk,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ohio114

We live in OHIO, my 18 yr old son, slid off the road and into a ditch, he was charged with failure to control, not stopping within so many feet of a stop sign and the police officer did a breath test on my son, and the three passengers, all had a beer, no one was legally drunk. My questions are, Yes, I know he is not legal to drink in Ohio the legal age is 21. No, he should not have been drinking, But why did the police officer do a breath test on all passengers, and only charged my son with drinking, they were all under 21. The second question is, I know he will have to do the 3 days in jail or DUI school, but my concern is there a chance that he can keep his driving privileges? I know he did the crime and should do the time, but I am a single parent, with no support from his father, we cannot afford a lawyer, and the public defender he went to told him he will get his license suspended for 6 months, and cannot apply for work and school privileges till after 60 days. He works part-time at sears, he also has delivered the local newspaper daily, which he has to go to the station and pick up the papers, he is also a full-time college student, If he cannot apply for work and school privileges till after 60 days, I told him to not apply to college the next semester, I hate to see him sign up, and 1/2 way through, get the suspension and have to quit, there is no bus transportation where we live, and he cannot afford a cab, there is no way I can take him either. I know I am a mother speaking, but he really is a good kid. Does the Ohio law require a 60 day waiting period for privileges? If anyone could offer some help I would appreciate it. If he could do better with a paid lawyer, I will find the money to pay for one. If that is the way, to go, I kinda feel the public defender is just pushing the clients through, and not willing to fight for my son, maybe I am wrong, because I don't know that much about the court system, since this is the first trouble any of my kids has been in.

I am afraid that he will not restart school if he drops out for a semester, and with his jobs he pays all of his car ins, and payments too. If he has to quit his jobs because he has no transportation I know this too will be a disaster for him. Since this has happened he rarely even goes out now. I know he is worried about having to quit college and his jobs.

Thank you.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Can you please repost in a shorter form so we may answer you more promptly? Thanks! : - )

S

SCARED GIRL

sorry

Hi... as you can tell by my user name.. - I have been in this situation before. I recently was charged with driving after consumption while under 21 in NC. I know that laws vary from state to state but i have be told that the laws in NC are the strictest around. Initially I was told that I would lose my lisence for a year and have to pay many fines and my insurance woudl go up, and so on... However I ended up hiring a lawyer and going to court and I got a PJC ( a prayer for judgment) because I had no prior convictions. That means that it stays off my record and all i have to pay is lawyers fees and court costs -- this also means i get to keep my lisence. I would suggest that you get a lawyer if AT ALL possible because in the long run it is much cheaper! I'm sorry to hear about your son's arrest and good luck!! Oh yeah -- and I will also say that I know in NC if you are over 18, it is possible to apply for a provisional lisence even if he is convicted. This would mean he could drive to and from work and school. Hope that helps!!

[Edited by SCARED GIRL on 12-14-2000 at 12:46 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">