• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr old son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I have two children, per the court agreement, $700/mo for my son, $1200/mo for my daughter, $500/mo alimony
I hate to tell you this, but I am afraid that you are going to be sorely disappointed when you discover that child support is fluid and modifiable. Your court order might say 700.00 for your son 1200.00 for your daughter and 500.00 alimony, but the only one of those numbers that is pretty much fixed is the alimony.

When your son ages out of child support its likely that the court would recalculate the support based on one child aging out. If that does happen its also likely that they would will recalculate support based on standard guidelines.

If your income has increased at all since the original child support order was made then its possible that your child support would either decrease by less than you think, or even increase if your income has increased enough. Google an online child support calculator for your state and run some numbers before you move much further.

Mr JB

I hate to tell you this, but I am afraid that you are going to be sorely disappointed when you discover that child support is fluid and modifiable. Your court order might say 700.00 for your son 1200.00 for your daughter and 500.00 alimony, but the only one of those numbers that is pretty much fixed is the alimony.

When your son ages out of child support its likely that the court would recalculate the support based on one child aging out. If that does happen its also likely that they would will recalculate support based on standard guidelines.

If your income has increased at all since the original child support order was made then its possible that your child support would either decrease by less than you think, or even increase if your income has increased enough. Google an online child support calculator for your state and run some numbers before you move much further.
Thank you, the best advice I've read on this thread

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">