• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1960 Life Insurance Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ECustis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire
My father passed away in 1960, in New Hampshire. He had life insurance. There was an envelope tacked to the wall where he would put change every week and a man came to the house to collect the contents every month. My Dad bragged that the policy was for $20k. When he died, the funeral director (my dad's relative), charged us $5k for his funeral. About a month after his death, my aunt (dad's sister), and the funeral director came to the house and gave my mother a check for $1,350. My mother could not subtract and didn't know that it was not the difference between the exorbitant funeral cost and the $20k policy my father said he had. My brother and I were age 11 and 12. We tried to tell my mother the math was off, but she said we were wrong and not to interfere. That was the only money we ever received from that insurance policy. The only way I thought my aunt could have gotten hold of that insurance money was if my Dad left her as beneficiary. It appeared that she took care of his funeral and gave us a little cushion to get us by. There was a balance of $13,650. that my mother never received. We were dirt poor. My father knew he was dying and use to say that we'd be taken care of after he was gone. Could anyone tell me if there was another way this could have happened. Everyone involved has long since passed on, except for me. I was just wondering about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

FlyingRon

Is there a question here. It's far too late to have any legal action about what happened 50 years ago. You don't even know what happened. You don't even know what happened. It's quite possible that the money's paid out for the funeral and your benefit exceeded what was covered in the policy. Regardless of who paid for the policy the money belonged to the beneficiary and if that was the aunt, you have no particular claim over it.

commentator

Of course there's another way this could have happened. Your father, rest his soul, could've been as bad at subtraction as your mother, could have been given to big talk, could have poorly understood the workings of the insurance policy. He might have picked up that $20,000 was the most it might pay under certain circumstances, and held to that figure as exactly what he thought his family was to receive when he died. Of course there's no way of knowing that now.

But since you and your brother were quite young, and if you never actually saw that $20,000 figure anywhere written down, you really can't be sure that was what the policy paid out.

If your father did in fact make your aunt the beneficiary, he must have been aware of your mother's educational deficiencies and have thought that he could trust your aunt to handle this situation.

Usually the job of dealing with a deceased family member's estate is a thankless task, and even back when, it would have been difficult for her to commit outright fraud against your family and carry off your $13,650 without repercussions. Your mother may have shushed your complaints because she did not want you to think poorly of your father, who had been mistaken in the amount you were due to receive, or who may have been blowing smoke about it. Or perhaps she just did not want to raise a ruckus, which was after all, her choice. Even if she was uneducated, she could have complained if she sincerely thought she was being defrauded. Did she ever do this?

I'm sure it made your father feel better to think as he was dying that he was leaving his family with some money, but I have in many cases seen poorly educated people who thought they were getting much more than they actually were because they did not or could not read the small print, but only grasped the quick picture, or even glanced down and misplaced the decimal point.

It sounds like this has been an issue for bitterness in your family for many years, has become a family legend (Our aunt got $13,650 that should have been ours.) Did your mother ever say this? Did your aunt suddenly begin living a more lavish lifestyle? Does she have any children who might know something about the situation? Do you remember the name of the policy holding company?

I can't tell you how common it is that there is this type root of bitter feeling loose in a family, and in many cases years later, it has been discovered that there was another explanation for the whole situation other than what a couple of pre-teen children assumed had happened. And as you said, everyone else involved is long gone. Even if your aunt did cheat your family badly, she's not enjoying it much right now. Much better for you to develop a new thought pattern about this old situation and enjoy the rest of your life.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

There seem to me plenty of math errors going on here.

A family that was "dirt poor" would not have spent $5,000 on a funeral in 1960. I suspect $5000 could have bought a house in NH in 1960.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There seem to me plenty of math errors going on here.

A family that was "dirt poor" would not have spent $5,000 on a funeral in 1960. I suspect $5000 could have bought a house in NH in 1960.
If the funeral was $500 (not $5,000) and the insurance policy was $2,000 (not $20,000), then the amounts make a lot more sense...

$500 for the funeral, $150 for the misc stuff that comes up and $1,350 back to the mom. Seems like aunt may have been a stand-up lady after all!

Betty

ECustis, you're just going to have to let this go. It happened way too long ago to do anything about it. You were also very young & may not have all the details correct/know all the details.

It's possible your Dad "might" have made your aunt (his sister) beneficiary - hard to say now.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">